New vinyl on top of old ?

In preparation for putting our house on the market (yikes !) I have to do something about the kitchen floor (old sheet vinyl that would give that rude estate agent guy on TV palpitations). Is it an acceptable bodge to just give it a good clean and put some new stuff down on top ? The units have been installed after the current flooring was layed so to lift it would involve ripping the whole kitchen out.

Reply to
Zippy

Whether it is acceptable I don't really have an answer to but I can tell you that it works as long as the old floor is sound and clean.

The floor in the kitchen of our previous place was in a state when we moved in and we were flat broke so as a stop gap we (read I) laid ties over the old vinyl - it stayed like that for four years till we moved out. I would probably do it again as lifting the old vinyl can be hard work and the two layers make it feel better under foot IMHO.

Reply to
doozer