New tools

I got some power tools today, and would welcome any suggestions on how to make the most of them.

A smallish 3 wheel bandsaw. I know about the blade issues with these. A 500w non-plunge 1/4" router

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Tabby wrote in news:edf23039-1d75-4697-833b- snipped-for-privacy@d28g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Is that the Clarke one with the 1/4" blade (or thereabouts)?

In which case I found it very useful for certain joints - lap joints and the like in rough timber, likewise shaping the top of garden fence rails, other than that I used it for cutting plywood blanks for the carcasses of scale building models (4mm to the foot).

I have to say that although I've had several years work out and it?s still going strong it's going on ebay soon, the blades snap far too often and they come out of alignment and come of the wheels even more regularly. And regardless of tension you've really got to watch the blade for travel. Fitting a good fence, the Axminster Pro-glide series works for me but you could even make your own does make a significant difference for the better.

I'm going for a floor standing model from Axminster just as soon as my new workshop is built.

But good luck with it, it's cheap and cheerful and with careful use can produce reasonable results. The less you ask it to do the better it does it if you take my meaning.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Its an old Burgess, 1/4" blade, looks about 14/16 tpi, so good for just about any material. I realise these 3 wheelers have blade issues, but it was the right decision to take it at the time. Blade stability doesnt look very good, I've not tried cutting with it yet to see if it can do a clean steady line. I've got a couple of fences for it.

I guess the prime question is what can I do with it that I cant use a mitre saw for.

And the main question with the router is what am I going to do with it. I've got by without one for a long time.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

That's funny. Usually people get tools because they have a use for them.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Tabby wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x6g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

..

Well I got mine specifically for making scale models - which is why I got a small 3 wheel one but you'll find that if you have it out rather than stuck under a bench you'l end up using it for all sorts of odd jobs.

I've only recently got my first router and now I have it I use it for everything I can. From very simple tasks like putting a nice edge on shelving, cutting rebates, sinking recesses into benches for cutting mats and the like to jointing. Once I've finished my work in the garden (more bloody decking and steps for the Mrs) I'll be using it to make window frames for my new workshop.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Don't be silly ...

Reply to
geoff

for a start?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Some attractive wooden toys for a young child?

A matching butler tray and coasters set?

A handy tote box for Mrs Tabby's knitting?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yup, hard to imagine not having a router... one of the most versatile tools in the workshop. Just acquired my fourth.

Reply to
John Rumm

google groups says there are 9 posts in this thread, but only shows 5. Sigh.

NT

Reply to
Tabby