New toilet-old drains

I find that having installed a new toilet with a 6 litre flush I am having to occasionally rod the drains. I have had the drains power flushed and inspected with a camera and they are ok.. Having lowered the amount of water in flush has their been any changing of the regulations regarding how the drains are laid.

Sam Farrell

Reply to
Sam Farrell

Sam I didn't have the inspection, but I had the same experience with old drains (porcelain on a 50m run to a septic tank). Installed a toilet with low flush for fluids and 6 months later the system blocked and took probably more water than had been saved to get the drain to clear. I disconnected the low flush and haven't had any bother since.

I do wonder whether in the final analysis, the modern plastic drain with its almost seamless joints is better than porcelain in the end.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The message

from robgraham contains these words:

Yes, almost certainly.

I don't know about absolute lifespan, but certainly in terms of intervals between clearance of major blockages. And it's virtually impervious to root penetration, too.

Reply to
Appin