New switch wiring

I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes on when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the "ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

TIA

Ian

Reply to
Ian Waddell

Two way switches don't have 'On' or 'Off' positions, both positions can be on or off depending on the other switch.

This sounds like a troll...

Reply to
...Jerry...

Swap the the cables on L1 & L2 around. that should fix it.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website Email address on posting is ficticous and used as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

"Ian Waddell" wrote | I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There | are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch. | I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had | the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes on | when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the | "ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down. | What can I do to remedy this?

Operate the *other* switch controlling that light once.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Until someone uses the other switch!....

Reply to
...Jerry...

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:36:54 +0100, "...Jerry..." strung together this:

I used to work for a bloke that wanted all 2 way switches to be off when in the up position, PITA really so I never bothered.

If it's not a troll then swap the L1 and L2 wires over at one of the switches.

Reply to
Lurch

Sorry,

It's a double switch, the left switch controls a downstairs light (one way) - the right switch controls the upstairs light in conjunction with the upstairs switch (two way).

I have L1, L2 and common connected on the right switch and just L2 and common on the left switch - does this change any of the advice given?

TIA

Reply to
Ian Waddell

You're a bit stuck with the left switch - the > >

... so there isn't anything that you can do about that one, I'm afraid. It's just the nature of the circuit.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

No he is not, swap the L2 for L1 on the switch being used as a one way.

BTW, to the OP, please don't top post, it makes following the thread difficult.

Reply to
...Jerry...

but unless I misread the reply, there is only a L2 and common for the left switch. (bit odd really, why don't they lable it L1 then?!!!)

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I think you miss read it, both switches on the face plate are two way, one being used as a two way and the other is being used as a one way, it is this latter switch that has caused the problem.

Reply to
...Jerry...

As simple as swapping L1 for L2 on the left switch. And the OP may have wired up the new switch identically to the old switch. Some switches have for some annoying reason the words use L2 for one way operation.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

he was or the switches ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:16:00 +0100, Dave Stanton strung together this:

Both, that was just one example of his PITAness! It was only subcontract so I moved on shortly after.

Reply to
Lurch

I *think* it was a troll. If not, I have a solution involing relays; but this margin is not wide enough to accommodate it.... :-)

Reply to
OldScrawn

ah, just re-read the OP's reply post.

Of course I had read it that there were L1 and L2 terminals on one of the switches, and only L2 on the other - i.e. a 1 way and a 2 way in one faceplate (admittedly not like any switch that I've ever come across, but I wasn't making assumptions....)

re-reading, it appears that he's referring to the connections as they exist rather than available terminals, in which case I agree with all above, and changing the one-way switch position is therefore the trivial job of changing the connection from L2 to L1.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS