New styles in curvy floorboards

joy of CNC bandsaws.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Can you imagine having to lift and replace one of those boards!

Reply to
John Rumm

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Brilliant. Makes you realise how much waste there is in the production of standard size boards. I imagine kiln drying must be key to the process. Differential shrinkage would be interesting to say the least.

Reply to
stuart noble

I'll bet very little comes out of the sawmill that isn't charged for in one way or another even with "standard" planks.

Reply to
Skipweasel

The "waste" from timber conversion will end up in chipboard and stirling board. Or wood pellets for burning, or whatever - not really waste at all.

Expensive hardwoods are often sold "waney edged" so the person using the boards can juggle the best timber out of them (remember the raw edges will have some irregularities that need to be sawn out).

And remember the approach in the link will result in new kinds of wastage, as sets of boards have to be cut together as length-matched sets - that will then be trimmed to match a particular room - and cut- outs for fireplaces and the like, and oversizing to fill in doorways - rather than the usual approach of randomly butt-joining boards to make up length.

I do like the stuff though - very attractive look to it.

Reply to
dom

There is a national Trust property near us that was restored with long (>20ft) floorboards that were wedge shaped to get the best value out of that length. Each board goes the length of the floor and it looks wonderful. They are straight edges though - apparently the original boards were like that.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I used to deal with a moulding mill that went bust because they couldn't get rid of waste chips fast enough. A 6 ton delivery of timber one day often meant a 2 ton waste collection was needed the following morning. Without lots of storage space or a very short notice collection service, things can grind to a halt pdq.

Reply to
stuart noble