New side door in brick garage

I have two opening in one wall of half brick garage. One is a side door and the other is about a third of the height that is meant for a dustbin. Its like a small cupboard and intrudes into the garage space.

I want to demolish this cupboard space, make a doorway and brick up the original side door.

Fairly straightforward but for the fact that the cupboard opening is right at the edge of the wall (approx. half brick distance from the edge). No sign of any rsj, just a batten wooden surround. Original doorway has no rsj (or the window in another wall)

1) Would it be feasible to remove brickwork up from this cupboard space and make a doorway?

2) Or would it be better to make the distance from the cupboard opening greater than half brick width. If so, what would be acceptable distance from the edge?

3) RSJ required?

4) do I need to let Building control know about this?

Any info appreciated

Reply to
harry