New SDS drill - I think it is is faulty

Just had a close look at mine and its perfick with both chucks:)

Wonder if the O/P had a counterfeit one perhaps as has been suggested?....

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm jst wondering.... Scenario: bloke buys a Makita SDS drill recieves it takes the covers off, puts new covers and chuck on his old drill sends it back for a refund, shop try it out without a drill bit in place,finds its ok and puts it back on the shelf.

Possible. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The correct name for the fault is that you have paid a good price for what should be and normally is a good quality drill.

I would suggest contacting Lawson and giving them the choice of replacement or cancellation of the transaction with your card company. End of discussion.

Reply to
andy hall

It could well be the same drill. I bought mine in a sale.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

.. Take a note of the serial number, would you? I've just ordered one from Lawsons, too - so I don't want yours if it goes back!

Reply to
AJB

0224148.

-- Chris Melluish

Reply to
Chris Melluish

They've started making them in China, and knocking them out at the same price as before?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

'Twill be very sloppy, though...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I bought a Power Craft SDS from Aldi for a relative. I have a Kress, and I am very happy with it - at least equal, if not better quality as a Makita. If the Kress died tomorrow I would buy the Aldi SDS. It is 900w and terrific. It goes very well, as good as any branded pro tool. Looks like the Makita. Made in Austria I believe. You can get 5 Aldi SDS drills for one Makita. Buy four and still have change.

I was in Aldi today just looking and saw a reciprocating saw at £20. It is well made and solid. A few tradesmen were there buying £13 planers. I got talking and they said the saw was superb as they had bought one about 6 months ago. They said the plane blades are about £10 to replace. So, they have a spare plane so that when they hit a nail and dull the blade, then can just pick up another plane and get the job done. I bought the saw, which comes with 4 blades. They also agreed with me that Bosch are crap, saying one jigsaw melted. They rated the Makita jigsaw which they mainly use for cutting metal and use a router for most other jobs that others use jigsaws for.

Another older man joining in the banter. He was a retired carpenter/joiner. He was telling us about his £600 Makita radial arm saw. He said he bought a Parkside 1,500w circular saw from Lidl. He said it was very good indeed and a snip at £25. The latest saw has a softstart and variable speed and laser too if that takes your fancy. He rated highly Power Craft and Parkside tools. He said all Makita did was copy the functions of other makers - typically Japanese. He said he also bought a Power Craft pillar drill. There was some small problem after a few months and the factory in Austria mailed him the small part. There is backup.

I asked a couple of assistants at Aldi if they get any returns on power tools, He said very few. I asked him about the SDS drill. He said one did come back, for something trivial, like the guide.

There are still a number of SDS drills in the stores. All power tools have a 3 year guarantee and the SDS drill, at least, has a six months professional warrantee, so no low level DIY product, more a semi pro range.

The problem with Aldi and Lidl is that all these tools are only ever on specials, so you have to know when they are available, via the web. Aldi do not list all their specials on the web. So, you can't just go to these places at any time and buy an SDS drill, that is why on Monday and Thursday mornings the trade in the first few hours are the main buyers of the tools.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You certainly live up to your name.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes Sir Bengy, I live up to being a part time world-wide playboy.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I simply don't believe that any worthwhile tradesman would buy tools for serious use in Aldi. The kind of nonsense that you are spouting, together with the inaccuracies suggests that this is either a total fabrication or that these gentlemen were also buying new spurs.

Why would anybody want four Chinese SDS drills?

Do you seriously believe that anybody is making drill presses in Austria to be sold in Aldi?

Regarding jig saws, have you actually ever used one? If you read any of the proper woodworking reviews and comments, you would learn that the Bosch professional range are the best available - assuming perhaps that one doesn't buy Festool.

I would be interested to know the model number of the Makita radial arm saw that the so-called retired carpenter joiner is talking about. They were one of the originators of sliding compound mitre saws after DeWalt. DW are one of the last remaining manufacturers of radial arm saws. They have gone out of fashion for the most part but portable circular saws are not the replacement.

Your last three paragraphs are contradictory nonsense.

- Of course Aldi say they don't get returns on power tools. For one thing it would cost more in petrol to get back there than the sale price of most of them. For the other, do you seriously believe that they would say they do when there's a stack that they are trying to shift so that they can put tired looking cauliflowers in the places occupied by the pallet of screwdrivers.

- The offered warranty has absolutely nothing to do with the product quality at this end of the market. It is purely the numbers game. They know quite well what the return rate will be and simply factor that into the margin.

- The problem with Aldo and Lidl is that they are shifters of cheap junk at low prices. That's it. It's all about making stock turns in the fastest possible time, nothing to do with anything that's worth having unless your sole criterion is price and you are gullible enough to believe that low price equates to a bargain.

Reply to
andy hall

Matt, the place is full of them

Matt, what nonsense would that be?

Matt, what inaccuracies would they be?

Matt, unlike yourself, I don't make things up.

To drill holes?

Matt, do have any concrete evidence to prove otherwise, or are you going to make things up again?

Matt, far too many.

One melted on these fellows. Bosch are crap in my opinion. They just make crap tools. Good design, crap manufacture.

He said the number, but I never remembered.

Matt, they pure wisdom.

This was a couple of workers there, not the manager.

But the sale price is well worth it - always specials.

Matt, the tools have their own sections. And caulies are good too.

It must have Matt. They stand by their products.

If they were as bad as you make out, who has never seen one, they would not sell them

Cheap? yes. Matt, not junk.

Or we could all be gullible and think high price and misplaced branding is well worth it. This thread is about an expensive tool by a leading brand that is absolutely crap.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Strange the way you do everything for a relative. Like flooding their house through not knowing how to join plastic pipe.

If you want a Makita, best to buy one, rather than one which simply looks like it. But then you never actually use these things but just look at them?

Perhaps you'll now be recommending 'combi's' in the same fashion?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is what happens when children are not chastised.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How well did it work when you got it - I assume you have got it by now.

-- Chris Melluish

Reply to
Chris Melluish