New router time

Max 200-250

240v, 1/2 inch New

Quick trawl on eBay offers dewalts~200, hitachi ~160, sip?, then workx, & then sub 100 "cheapies" (silverline et l)

Any thoughts/ experiences with any or all please?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Push the boat out an extra twenty quid?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Aha ta

...Or even just £12.80

Plunge-Router.htm

Also what are Triton like?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Tritons were always reckoned to be ideal for table mounting due to something to do with the spindle lock but as a downside I think they are heavy for hand use.

Triton as a company have under gone some changes in the last few years so I don't know if the current products are to the same design as previously.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I have 2 TREND Routers pleased with them. T5 is for most of my handheld Routing and the T11 used mainly in Router table.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Forget the Silverline and similar cheapies if you want to do nice work. The plunge is sticky and the depth setting is rubbish on my half inch Silverline.

Reply to
newshound

To an extent you get what you pay for... the cheapies often have poor plunge mechanism (not smooth in use, too much wobble / backlash, and quite often the depth lock does not hold well (which is very irritating)

For table use Freud used to to a good one (FT2000E) not sure if that is still available though. The Triton is also liked for this (same reason - nice built in plunge depth knob, and a good plunge right through the base plunge capacity). For table use a good speed range (i.e. preferably that can go down to 8K - 10K RPM) is essential for use with larger cutters.

Trend T9 through T11 are also very nice but quite pricey.

I have an old Makita machine that I was given, that is also nice in the sense the controls work well and its smooth an accurate, however its a bit limited due to lack of speed control.

If you do lots of handheld edging work, then the old Mak 3601B is worth a look since its design is ideal for this:

John Rumm

We have the Freud 1/2", two Elu, 1/4" and 1/2" and a small Bosch. The Freud is a bit agricultural and not very smooth running compared to the Elu. In particular is difficult to switch off and sticky to plunge at times. The tw o Elu are unburstable. They are both a good age now and still going strong. Smooth to use and very well made. I just don't get along with the small Bosch mini router. Even with the plun ge kit I still find myself loathe to use it.

Reply to
fred