New Ring Main - Cable Length

Hi All

Im adding new sockets downstairs so tidying up the current wiring by running a new ring main. My house is a 30's semi the ground floor is joists suspended about 2 foot over dirt.

When I run the ring main between sockets do I let the cable drop on the dirt, clip it to the underside of the joists, let it hang midway between joist and dirt-floor?

Thanks All

EC

Reply to
EricCartman

Clip to underside of the joists, I'd say.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Clip to joists. Consider using conduit to keep the rats at bay, depending on location.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd say it would be cheaper to prevent the rats getting into the foundations in the first place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"EricCartman" wrote | Im adding new sockets downstairs so tidying up the current wiring | by running a new ring main. My house is a 30's semi the ground | floor is joists suspended about 2 foot over dirt. | When I run the ring main between sockets do I let the cable drop | on the dirt,

Not best practice but is done, and I think compliant with regs.

| clip it to the underside of the joists,

Best practice.

| let it hang midway between joist and dirt-floor?

No, cables shouldn't hang under their own weight unless they're designe for it (which T&E isn't).

While you're under there, check underfloor ventilation is okay, and consider putting insulating batts between the joists. (Insulation not covering the cables.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain