New Regs on Spurs?

I believe this requirement (if it ever existed) has been replaced by the requirement to ensure that the probable load on the ring is reasonably balanced around its perimeter. You are not allowed to have the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer sockets as the first three before it snakes around the house.

However, you are allowed as many unfused spurs as you like, provided they aren't all at one end and, therefore, likely to unbalance the circuit. You can make a ring circuit will all spurs if you like. Such a circuit is quite useful if you have concrete floors as you can run a single drop cable to each socket from the ring in the floor above.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Sparks" wrote | For example.. | Cable from back of a socket on a ring main -> a 13A fused spur | Off this spur, another spur (maybe with a lower fuse for something - | is this acceptable?

I don't see why not, if it's otherwise compliant with the Regs. It could be very useful eg running a socket to an attached garage and then fusing down again for a light.

| I however think the below would not be acceptable... | When we had an alarm fitted at my workplace, the alarm company (Spy Alarms) | did the following | Wire from back of a socket on a ring main into spur | Spur then feeds alarm panel (5A fuse in spur and alarm panel) | Another wire from the back of the spur (not the fuse protected side) to | another spur feeding a swipe card system. | I thought this was wrong, but I stand to be corrected here!

I think wrong, it's an unfused spur supplying two points which is contrary to Regs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain