New radiators

Planning to replace my 40 year old radiators. What makes or suppliers do people recommend as reasonably cheap and reasonably good quality?

TIA

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

There is little to choose between the 'contract' radiators available at BMs PMs etc.

They all seem to be made to an adequate minimum standard.

If you pay a lot more the radiators look a bit different (maybe nicer tosome) but are essentially the same kit.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

================================== Possibly a minor consideration, but.....

Look for the position and type of the bleed valves. Some radiators (e.g. Wickes own brand) have their bleed valves located on an inner, slightly inaccessible face. If you damage the valve you can't replace it and the radiator may become un-bleedable and therefore useless. As far as I know you can't fit *automatic* bleed valves to this type of radiator. Having said all this I've got 3 Wickes radiators which have been in use for about

10 years and they've performed well and given no trouble at all apart from the minor awkwardness of the bleed valve position.

Radiators with bleed valve tappings at one or both outer ends seems to be much more readily available and automatic bleed valves can be fitted instead of the standard bleed valves. I've got a few of this type from Screwfix and they also perform well. Focus sell cheap automatic bleed valves.

Since there's plenty of choice (and not much difference in quality)I would suggest that you include the conventional end tapped types in your search criteria.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

They seem a subset of the Barlo range (now re-marketed under a different brand name). I've a house full of Barlos without problems for 15 years. I recently added a Wickes own brand one, and I couldn't tell the difference.

Reply to
<me9

Wickes are the cheapest I've found so far, but I noticed the unusual positioning of the bleed valves, and discounted them for the same reasons as you mention.

I hadn't heard of automatic bleed valves before - sound like a good idea. Any snags?

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

Can't find auto bleed valves in Screwfix or Focus. Do you have the link?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

=================================== This is one version which I haven't tried:

'Focus' one is much cheaper (about £2-00p) and isn't really much different from a standard bleed valve but it's easier to use. In fact I think the name is a bit mis-leading. as you still have to open a screw manually and there are no instructions with it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

---------------------------------- Having had another look at the description of the 'Denc' valve I think that it could be fitted to a Wickes radiator as a replacement for the original small bleed screw. It might foul the convection fins during insertion so some bending of a fin might be necessary. My main point about the Wickes radiator is still true - if the valve is damaged you can't remove it and fit a full replacement as you can with the end-tapped type of radiator. And you still can't use the 'Focus' type of valve with a Wickes radiator.

I hope this clarifies the matter somewhat. I think the 'Denc' valves would be quite expensive to fit. Possibly 2 per double radiator X 10 radiators = £120-00p.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

These radiators are known as roll-top. Not all double panel roll-top radiators have the bleed points on the back panel. Wickes are not the only source of supply or roll-top rads.

A problem with the bleed nipple is rare and the only fault is tightening them up hard so that they are subsequently impossible to remove even with a new key. Finger tight is all that is needed. Having said that this week I replaced a radiator for exactly that reason. However even then I might be able to dremel a slot into the nipple and get it out.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

================================== I th "Look for the position and type of the bleed valves. Some radiators (e.g. Wickes own brand) have their bleed valves located on an inner, slightly inaccessible face. If you damage the valve you can't replace it and the radiator may become un-bleedable and therefore useless. As far as I know you can't fit *automatic* bleed valves to this type of radiator. Having said all this I've got 3 Wickes radiators which have been in use for about

10 years and they've performed well and given no trouble at all apart from the minor awkwardness of the bleed valve position."

I didn't suggest that all double (or single) roll top radiators had bleed valves on an inner face, nor did I suggest that Wickes is the sole source of roll top radiators. In fact I didn't mention roll top radiators at all.

I also clarified (above) the point about damaged bleed valves.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero