New Radiator for Old

I have a double radiator (it has convection channels on the back of each panel) that measures 80cms wide by 60cms high. It is an original in the house (1988 build).

I don't know the output but is it likeley that a new one of the same size would be any better?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn writes

No better, physics hasn't changed much ;-)

If you don't have a condensing boiler now but might change to one later then you may wish to increase the size of the rad (+20%) now so that a lower flow temperature could give the same heat output.

Personally, I try to fit slimmer 2+1 radiators (that's 2 panels, 1 convector) as I find the slimmer form less intrusive but the heat output per unit area is less so a larger size is required. Your existing one is a 2+2 (2 panels, 2 convectors).

Reply to
fred

I agree. It may be though, that if the house's insulation has been upgraded since 1988 - double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation - there may already be some surplus capacity in that rad. So a like for like replacement may actually be ok for a condensing boiler - but the OP would need to do the sums.

If the OP *did* want to reduce the thickness by going to double panel, single fin without reducing the output, the area would need to be increased by nearly 30% - so he'd need a 1000 x 600 or 900 x 700 rad rather than 800 x 600.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On 07 Feb 2015, DerbyBorn grunted:

So are you saying that the present one is inadequate and you need a better one?

I recently refurbished a room in which the radiator has always been crap, so decided to replace it as part of the job. I sourced new rads just by working out the correct BTU output for the room using online calculators, without even considering what the actual output of the existing one was. Due to changing the room configuration, I ended up with two new small radiators in fact (totalling the target output), and the room is toasty warm now.

Reply to
Lobster

Just wanting a bit more output. Could go higher but not wider.

However, a new back door might warm the room up a bit as it is single glazed and thin ply bottom panel.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We have external doors like that, although double glazed. They were thick enough for me to add a second panel on top of the other separated by bubble wrap. I don't know how much extra warmth it has added but it all helps.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Is the current radiator getting really hot? If not, balancing the system might make things better.

It's probably draughty as well. Just getting rid of the draughts would help!

Reply to
Roger Mills

How about deeper? A triple panel rad would have more output.

Probably a U value of 4 or similar. So if its 2 sq m in area, this time of year you could be losing heat at a rate of ~160W - or double that if its draughty as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:s_GdnU_ snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I will get a composite door fitted soon.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Had a problem with radiators going cold downstairs, particularly in the kitchen, but upstairs being OK. Turned out that the upstairs TRV's opened and starved the downstairs rads of hot water because the balance valves on the upstairs rads were all wide open. Re-balancing the system (closing down the valves to half a turn open or less) cured the problem. Nice and toasty in the kitchen now.

Reply to
snot