New plaster treatment

Emulsion, watered down emulsion or PVA?

Reply to
Broadback

Wait until plaster is dry. Then watered down emulsion. There are also special paints for this purpose.

PVA can prevent some paints from wetting the surface afterwards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 28 Nov 2014, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) grunted:

Yeah, I once had this.... after the emulsion had dried you could peel it off with your fingers :(

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Broadback writes

Watered down emulsion for the first coat.

I used PVA once I think but IIRC the first coat of emulsion didn't go on so well, so still needed to do as much

Reply to
Chris French

1st one.

Cheap white matt (for ceilings), 10% water, or until it seems "right".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Fresh dry(*) plaster will pull the mositure out of neat emulsion and it'll only form a peelable skin. PVA see other comments. Dilute emulsion is the best bet, 5% water IIRC but look on the can it should say.

(*) Dry as in at least a month since it was applied in a heated and ventilated place. Just a skim might be dry enough after a week.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dulux Supermatt, let down 1 water to 5 paint. Excellent stuff and fine on plaster that is still drying.

Reply to
rbel

using water's far quicker. Slosh a coat on, wait 5 mins then paint with full strength emulsion. Its far quicker cos it doesnt matter a bit if you get water drops here and there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yep, Had the same experience. Got round it by mixing PVA with the emulsion.

PVA is good if you're going to paper the wall afterwards.

Reply to
harryagain

I've never had a problem painting new plaster straight from the can. However, I've never used the thick gloop/non-drip type paints.

Reply to
stuart noble

/However, I've never used the thick gloop/non-drip type paints/q

Geee what a cliffhanger.....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I always use B&Q plaster sealer. I don't get much from B&Q but that has always worked so I keep using it. Not sure what it is made of, doesn't smell like PVA though. They are now saying it is made by "Peek" but could be on of their made up brands. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've just painted our "en-suite" bathroom, and I treated the plaster with dilute PVA before painting.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, the requirement is to have it sufficiently dilute that it does not form a skin but just soaks in. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

And whether it does that depends to some extent on the plaster. Last room I did had been so highly polished by the plasterer that I had to scrub the first coat of paint to get it to take.

Reply to
stuart noble

Artex Sealer.

I used some in our bathroom on old plaster that had been newly revealed, new plaster and bare plasterboard. Then left it for rather longer than I had meant to. Final fixing tiles and painting was easy. And, despite being in a bathroom, none of the surfaces suffered any damage whilst left with only this sealer on.

Reply to
polygonum