New plaster

Just had an extension built and the internals have been plastered. Some is dark brown, some light. Assume that the dark means it's wet so I'm waiting for it to go light before we paint. Two things :

1) People have told us to add water to the paint. Why should this be done? What will happen if we dont? How much water should be added? 2) Can we paint straight onto the plaster or do we need to rough it up to make the paint stick?
Reply to
Lorna

New plaster will soak up a lot of paint before you get a proper finish on it. Diluting the emulsion paint is a way to prevent you using gallons of paint on the plaster before you begin to see a good finish.

The best method of all is to cover the walls with a good lining paper before applying painted finishes. Make the wallpaper paste thin enough to soak into the paper and allow it to stretch out a bit before offering the paper to the wall. Once the paper is dried out properly, seal it with one or two coats of dilute cheap emulsion paint, any colour as long as it's white. Follow this with two coats of the colour of emulsion paint you want.

This gives you the option to change the walls back to the plaster and starting again in a few years when your sick of the colour scheme. By removing the lining paper with a steam stripper, it's easier than trying to scrape the paint off and damaging the plaster again.

Reply to
BigWallop

The idea of having my walls plastered and then butchering the lovely smooth seamless surface with paper I simply can't understand.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This seals the plaster. The plaster will be very thirsty and will drink the extra water, leading to less cracking than would occur with an artificial drying out of the paint film before it is ready.

No roughing up. Some give the surface a quick sand, but I don't bother.

Go to your nearest Dulux Trade centre and ask for Supermatt emulsion in the colour of your choice. This is an excellent paint that is specifically designed for new plaster and allows it to breathe. Apply a first coat of diluted Supermatt. I use white, as it can cover walls and ceilings simultaneously and is off the shelf. Then one or two coats of the Supermatt, doing ceilings first so the paint splatter on the walls doesn't matter. I normally intend to use 2 coats, but find that 1 coat appears to have already done the trick.

A roller produces the best finish without horrible brush marks. (Paint spraying might be better still, but requires expensive equipment and much preparation).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thinning the paint helps carry it into the surface of the plaster and make it stick.

The plaster will suck the water/solvent straight out of the paint without drawing any of the body of the paint into the plaster surface, and the paint won't stick to the wall. Often this causes the first coat to come off when you try to apply a second coat, and/or all the layers to wear or even fall off the wall at a later date.

It will normally say on the tin -- something like 10%. If the plaster is very smooth and polished, add a bit more than this.

This depends how polished it is. You can polish up plaster like a sheet of glass, but then it's difficult to make the paint stick. If there are any hightly polished areas, you might want to take the shine off with sandpaper first.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am no expert on the subject but we just had the whole house replastered 6 rooms once the plaster dried, we primed seal it with Dulux plaster sealer.

With the lining papper it seems like all the hassel of wallpapering is still there.

Best reagrds

Reply to
Mo Thanku

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:00:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

Baffled me too.

Reply to
Lurch

Why would you strip the paint off rather than just painting over it?

Reply to
PM

Cause it's covered in paper underneath, dummy. Can't you read?

You don't need to sand it unless it is highly polished. Just give it a week from new and paint it with a couple of coats of trade emulsion. That stuff comes in white or magnolia. You can add a small pot of trial acrylic sample to change it if you like.

After a few months, paint it any colour you like. The cheap trade emulsion allows the plaster to breathe whilse it dries fully.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Is that because the trade emulsion is watered down anyway or am I being too cynical? It does sound like a sensible way to go to use cheap trade paint and cover it a couple of months later with what we want when it's all settled.

I hadn't intended on redecorating for years after doing the first coat - I hate moving furniture around :-)

Thanks for the advice - most helpful.

Peter

Reply to
Lorna