New oil CH boiler required in the near future

I don't have gas, and I don't really have storage to go the wood chip way, and for the next year or so at least oil looks a passable option.

But my 20 year old boiler is now having to be nursed. Bits are less accessible and it's tired, not helped by it being an external wall hung model and hence is a bit open to the elements.

It would be nice to get it through this winter, and we could at a pinch rely on the wood burning stove for the CH and DHW, but a new boiler is going to have be fitted, possibly sooner rather than later.

The question is what is currently available / recommended - it doesn't need to be wall hung?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You can get a bulk LPG tank in the garden, if you have space. Rental ~15p/ day, just needs a concrete pad to sit on and a trench for the pipework. Currently about 40p/litre, delivered.

Reply to
Adrian

If a riello burner I'd keep it, there's so few bits to go wrong you may as well just refurbish them all and keep it. Changing for a year is pointless. What can't you find? Pump? Motor? Er photocell? Er...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

What's the energy content of the litre? For comparison, a litre of oil seems to work out at 10 kWh. So using the immersion heater rather than the oil boiler for heating hot water requires oil to be over say

65p/litre.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Also requires permanent access for a lorry so that it can be picked up carted off. Not all properties have suitable access.

Reply to
polygonum

LPG is a little less susceptible to pikies nicking it too - and takes no more room than an oil tank. Plus you can use it for gas fires and cooking. My parents used to have one before mains gas came to the area - worked well for them.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Rental

JFGI.... around 7 kWhr/l

Close enough. Whats the current price for heating oil, it can't be far away from 40p/l. So LPG at 40p/l plus 15p/day doesn't appear to be particularly good value, ATM...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Efficiency, which can be obtained from this link, might be a basis for replacement:

The good news is that modern boilers can often be more efficient. The bad news is that many if not all of them are condensing which makes them much more expensive, and complex.

I did find that I could buy a complete new Riello RDB burner for a little over £200 on ebay. If I had spotted it earlier I might well have bought one to solve my recent problem.

If you want to replace your boiler you need to decide whether to have a regular, system or combi model.

There are only a few makes of burner, so I am tempted to suggest that you should chooses a brand that uses Riello burners, e.g. Worcester-Bosh or Grant.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Efficiency, which can be obtained from this link, might be a basis for replacement:

/q

How far back do old boiler efficiencies go on your link?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Maybe 30 years. I would expect it to show the OP's 20 year old boiler.

Reply to
Michael Chare

/ Maybe 30 years. I would expect it to show the OP's 20 year old boiler./q

So armed with old boiler efficiency estimate, annual oil consumption, and r efurb costs for old boiler and price for new boiler installation, the op sh ould be able to do the cost/benefit analysis.

When I changed boiler I should've got abt 10% improvement in consumption, b ut that translates to only about £75 a year in oil. Quite a long payback time.... Hence my proposal to keep/refurb the old one.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I replaced mine in 2006, the non condensing boiler itself was about £800, I spent another £500 or so on other parts such as the flue and motorised valves etc. At the price I paid for oil last Sept it has more than paid for itself, as I reduced my consumption by about 6-700 litres p.a.

Reply to
Michael Chare

/ At the price I paid for oil last Sept it has more than paid for itself, as I reduced my consumption by about 6-700 litres p.a./q

How much oil do you use p.a.?!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Although it does give you gas for cooking as well, plus the option of modern gas boilers with better efficiency and (perhaps) lower maintenance.

Reply to
newshound

I'd have to throw away the brand new induction hob, and rip up the floor to install gas piping, etc etc.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The average for the past seven years is 2700 litres p.a.

Reply to
Michael Chare

/The average for the past seven years is 2700 litres p.a. /q

Hotel? Draughty old pile? Leaky tank? No jumpers available?:-) :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Not enough insulation. House dates from the 50s. The top half has solid walls with tiles.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Mmm, if you'd spent the boiler change cost on insulation and kept the old one, I wonder what the last few years bills would've been?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

That *does* make a bit of a difference :-)

Reply to
newshound