New oil boiler

Our boiler (a 35 y/o Trianco-Stuart) gave us a reminder of how old it is by failing on Sunday morning. Fortunately, I have managed to track down some ignition electrodes (and bodge the old ones) so it's working again.

So, should we replace it? The service engineer sucks his teeth and shakes his head every year (and he doesn't do installs, so he's no axe to grind). And if we should (and I'm inclined to think we should - that way it gets done at a time and budget of our choosing) has anyone any advice to offer? I'm not doing it myself, but I'd like to know what questions to ask. Especially as to what is a good make of boiler.

Reply to
Huge

Fantastic.

Yes. Modern condensing units are much superior. They have combi versions too. The combi versions are superior to gas combis as they have a thermals store of water in the heat exchanger. Oil version also have outside models too, saving space in the house and safer too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You will probably save on fuel but it is down to you whether it will be economically justifiable when considered with the total price of a new boiler installation. What burner does it use? Can you get a second hand burner off your service man as there are a lot of them about nowadays. ebay may be your best friend:-)

(When my boiler gets beyond repair I think I shall put in a ground loop system rather than having to keep on buying oil)

Reply to
cynic

I suspect even modern conventional boiler will have better effciency tha= n a 35 year old one and certainly a condensing one. With a condensor there= could be the best part of a 50% reduction in oil bill that for us would = be around 700 quid/year at todays oil prices over =A31000 at June 2008 prices...

Now that could be a serious expense. To make good use of the low grade heat from a heat pump system you really need under floor heating if you =

don't already have that...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Does your existing boiler use a conventional flue?

Changing to a balance flue may be cheaper than replacing the flue liner which I would think that you also need to do.

(I kept my conventional flue but even as a DIY job replacing the liner was more expensive than insalling a balanced flue. I found that the 30year old(?) lining was quite perforated when I removed it. Something that I was not really aware of.)

You may also end up with a fully pumped system.

My new wall mounted oil boiler fits nicely into the alcove originally occupied by the previous floor standing boilers which always jutted out.

Another consideration is whether to have a sealed system or continue with your existing header tank .

It is also worth looking at what burner the boilers use - as this is the part for which you are most likely to need spares - in a hurry.

Viesssmann boilers sometimes get mentioned in this ng - I have no practical experience though.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I suspect even modern conventional boiler will have better effciency than a 35 year old one and certainly a condensing one. With a condensor there could be the best part of a 50% reduction in oil bill that for us would be around 700 quid/year at todays oil prices over £1000 at June 2008 prices...

Now that could be a serious expense. To make good use of the low grade heat from a heat pump system you really need under floor heating if you don't already have that...

DPS, have this thermal store/heat bank, which is to store low grade heat from solar panels, solid fuel, heat pump, etc, and use it to preheat. They even take heat from a gas saver.

Doctor Drivel