New nuclear technology

Some NIMBY there. He's right about fundamentalists though. It's a common problem - some people love extremes.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I think that what the Left does so well - and I class greens as a basic subset of Left - is to create a theatre in which dimwitted irrelevant morons can be cast in star roles. No you are not just a pleb in a world you have no idea of, you are a VICTIM. you are MORALLY SUPERIOR and you are part of a vanguard of RIGHT MINDED PEOPLE, CHANGING THE WORLD.

its all total snake oil, but people are SO dim, it works.

You justs have to find a bunch of people with chips on their shoulders and a level of incompetence that exceeds even their giant egos, and set them in motion.

Greens Radical Islam Communists Guardian reading sub-intellectuals.

All grist to the great mill of AgitProp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's their method of closing down the debate. As in "Friends of the Earth", so if you disagree with them, that makes you an enemy of the Earth.

Reply to
Tim Streater

All part of Agitprop. From wiki:

Methods of agitation Agents of influence

An agent of influence is an agent of some stature who uses his or her position to influence public opinion or decision making to produce results beneficial to the country whose intelligence service operates the agent.[9] They can be used to place the various forms of agitation propaganda mediums in places of influence such as government agencies, the media, and other avenues by which popular opinion is formed or born from.

Media control

The control of media has become a common practice in states seeking to sustain undemocratic rule over its citizens. Mass media forms the opinions of entire societies, as such, without the mass media there can be no modern propaganda. In order to become successful tools of agitation propaganda, the media must be under central control, disseminating the party line, and they must be diversified in their products.[10]

Forgery

Is the process of making, adapting, or imitating objects, statistics, or documents with the intent to deceive. Forgeries are used to stimulate opinions in the target based on false information. During the Cold War era, the U.S.S.R.?s intelligence service, the KGB, was able to convince many leaders of the Third World, that the CIA was targeting them by forging U.S. Government documents.[11] Leaks

The intentional leaking or exposing of governmental secrets to achieve political aims. A historical example of an exposure being used as agitation propaganda was the British exposure of the Zimmerman Telegram to the U.S. Government, in March 1917. The Zimmerman Telegram was an offer from Germany to Mexico to enter into a war with the United States. The British Government knew this would push the U.S. to declare war on Germany, and thus used it to gain help in fighting Germany in World War I. The U.S. Government leaked the telegram to the media, and the contents of the Telegram created public support for declaration of war with Germany in April of 1917.[12] Exaggeration and fabrication Stern view of the Maine

The over embellishment or creation of events used to agitate the masses against the enemy. A famous example of exaggeration and fabrication would be the cries for war that followed the sinking of the USS Maine. The USS Maine was sent to Havana in 1898 to protect American interests during a Cuban revolt against the colonial Spanish government. The ship exploded in port when the forward gunpowder magazine was ignited.[13] The event was propagandized in the media, instantly blaming Spain for the sinking. The propaganda slogans of ?Remember the Maine ? To hell with Spain? forged American public support for war. The American newspaper stories ran with re-enacted drawings of Spanish saboteurs fastening an underwater mine to the Maine and detonating it from shore.[14]

See also:

A (fallacious) 'ad hominem' argument has the basic form:

  1. A makes claim X.
  2. There is something objectionable about A.
  3. Therefore claim X is false.

The first statement is called a 'factual claim' and is the pivot point of much debate. The last statement is referred to as an 'inferential claim' and represents the reasoning process. There are two types of inferential claim, explicit and implicit.

Ad hominem is one of the best-known of the logical fallacies usually enumerated in introductory logic and critical thinking textbooks. Both the fallacy itself, and accusations of having committed it, are often brandished in actual discourse (see also Argument from fallacy). As a technique of rhetoric, it is powerful and used often, despite its inherent incorrectness.

In contrast, an argument that instead relies (fallaciously) on the positive aspects of the person arguing the case is known as 'appeal to authority'.

check every paragraph against the Climate of Fear-ists

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Them? They're about as academic as my cats' arses.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

ah, logic fails, facts fail, reason fails, mathematics fails.

So why NOT resort to personal abuse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's the only thing that penetrates.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No doubt this is what they are angling for

.

Reply to
newshound

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 13:23 newshound wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The video on their web page:

is very interesting - Prof Lester makes some good arguments too.

It seems from delving into their website that they want to license designs, rather that actually try to build one (at least a production unit) due to the $$$$$ needed.

I get how burning nuclear "waste" pellets (that have loads of energy left) is attractive. I have not yet understood though how they get to the "our reactor produces 3kg waste" when it's dissoved in salt.

Still, I'm sure they know what they are doing - or trying to do - I hope they get someone with the big money interested in having a go.

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Its not all about you Its not all about you baby ..."

Reply to
geoff