New Metal Beam Safe?

I would value your opinion on whether the new metal beam which some builders put into my kitchen today is safe.

'm no expert but it looks a foot too short to me, and I fear that because it is on one end of a concrete block it put a huge cracking force on the right of the block and crack the block...

It is old soft brick with lime mortar underneath, which i fear will compress over the coming decades more under the right of the block than under the left.

Should I let them continue to brick it in on Monday, or ask them to check the forces or what?

thanks, George

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

That look normal to me.

The concrete padstones will be of a grade of concrete up to the task of distributing the point load over the underlying brickwork.

If that gives you concern, let me post a picture of the RSJ and padstones currently being installed here at Lowe Towers. ( tomorrow! )

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Looks ok to me. What does the BCO say?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Building Control Officer.

BTW, it looks ok to me.

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

we are widening an internal doorway, which I dont think needs a Building Control Officer.

George (dicegeorge)

Looks fine to me - They'll fill the gap to the wall below with brick, slate and/or dry-packed mortar, and the load will be spread more evenly then.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If the wall is structural, you need building regulations approval. If it is not, you don't need the beam.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If it's any help it's quite common to have a beam like that sitting on one 'half' of a 9" wall - when removing an internal load bearing wall. You construct some form of padstone to spread the load.

But anything like this should involve pro help - initially by asking your local BCO what he requires.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Building Regs - for which you have to pay the requisite fee, and have it inspected by the BCO.

If your builder is unaware of this, he must be an even bigger cowboy than you suspect!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Oh, yes it does! The Building Regulations apply to any work which at any stage could affect structural stability or fire safety.

Your builder should have known this. If he doesn't, he's incompetent. If he did, but went ahead anyway, he doesn't want anyone inspecting his work 'cos he's s**te.

First thing Monday morning, get down to you local Council offices and get a Building Notice in. Don't tell them you've already started, otherwise it's a Regularisation, which costs a bit more. As soon as your notice is in, tell them you want someone to inspect the beam as soon as they can (usually 48 hours). Leave the beam as it is in that photo until they've been and inspected.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

hmmm, the websites ive looked at arent clear on whether internal door improvements are under buiklding regs... but anyhow,, will it affect my house insurance if I dont have BCO approval?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Of course it will. They will refuse to pay out on any claim for structural problems.

The bigger problem will come when you try to sell the house, and you will have to admit that the door widening was done without Building Control approval. How easy do you think it will be to sell?

Reply to
Bruce

How would a prospective buyer be aware a door opening had been widened?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The buyer probably wouldn't, but their surveyor should.

Let's get this straight. Are you suggesting that the OP should proceed without building control approval?

Reply to
Bruce

I suppose it depends on whether or not you're prepared to commit perjury when answering all the standard questions asked by the purchaser's solicitor.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You know for certainty what work has been done on your house since it was built? I don't. If I were buying a house I'd employ a pro to check things

- certainly not rely on the 'honesty' of the seller.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they are in non-structural walls, they are not. If they are in structural walls, they are. If you need that beam, it is a structural wall.

You won't have any insurance and it won't matter if the claim has anything to do with this work. By failing to disclose a pertinent risk that you are aware of, you will be in breach of your contract with the insurer, thereby invalidating the insurance.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Only if their guide dog smells it out.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If they _are_ concrete, not just a random breezeblock that was handy at the time.

Reply to
Andy Dingley
8<

Want to name one surveyor that's going to strip the plaster, etc. to see what's underneath? If you can find one do you think the seller will let you?

Reply to
dennis