new mains drill

At current count I have four non-SDS mains drills - 2 x110V, 2 x240V; only one of them is ever used and that's got a permanently-affixed Axminster angle drive on it. Just not needed, the rest of them. I wouldn't throw them out though, because some day, I will need one of them. The two Hitachi 110V ones are tough old things and just out of interest I'm keeping them around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you have an ordinary mains drill and an SDS with ordinary chuck both equally accessible, why would you choose to use the SDS for an ordinary drilling task? My SDS is both longer and heavier than the normal mains drill - which also has a key less chuck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For repetitive tasks, it *is* the time taken to change back and forth that's the pita. Which is why I decided to hoard Makita cordless. :) Oh boy; that's paid for itself already, the amount of time I've saved having one with a drill, screwdriver bit, and square-section drive all to hand.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It is also a time when lack of cords is very welcome.

Reply to
polygonum

My SDS chuck is keyless.

My SDS is quieter, more powerful, and more controllable than my last mains drill. Though I agree it is heavier and longer. Obviously that would depend on precise models of each type.

Reply to
polygonum

Why should I choose to carry a bog-standard drill around when it's dead weight 99.999% of the time?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm talking DIY. Which would normally be on your own premises.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I appreciate the OP has already solved his problem, but if anyone really needs a high torque mains drill, I thoroughly recommend the mixer/drill from DeWalt:

I bought this needing to do lots of large diameter holes in timber, and after finding my Bosch SDS was frequently limited by the safety clutch. The DeWalt does of course require a very firm grip and a little caution.

Reply to
dom