new lock cylinders

So do I. Also the Eurolocks I bought on Ebay were the cheapest I could find, £7.99 "Carl F", but they were still described as high security, anti pick, anti drill (But not anti bump IIRC). I'm sure it's meaningless hype

Reply to
Graham.

I should think anti-snap is the most important now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very impressive! Hadn't seen an Avocet key before, so "normal" vibrator wouldn't work. I can't see myself doing it (I struggle with normal cylinder locks and conventional picks).

Reply to
newshound

Its not that impressive.. to do it he had to use a key with the magnet at the end and they have the magnet in different positions depending on the key blank.

Reply to
dennis

Admittedly all locks are different but from what I know the magnet is reverse polarity to the lock magnets, it therefore makes sense to have the magnet on the end as it will then pass over any other magnet positions, if using proper tension you will then hold the magnetic pins in place while using a normal pick to pick the lock.

Reply to
ss

Most doors should have two locks anyway, so have one with thumbturn inside for use while you're at home and egress in the event of fire. When away fro m home use the second lock which is keyed both sides. (just don't leave a s pare key somewhere obvious indoors.)

You can easily get euro cylinders keyed alike if you only want to carry one key.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was about to suggest keyed alike, I've just done that to a house that only has 2 euro locks and it saves on the number of keys carried.

I have another house with 5 euro locks and I'm tempted to do the same there. A bit expensive if I ever loose a key and need to replace all the locks though!

I also thought long and hard about internal thumb turns and decided against it. I've had at least 2 attempted burglaries, but only 1 fire, so far, so decided on security and always knowing where a key was.

I wonder if anyone has seen a uPVC front door with 2 locks so that one could be used with a thumbturn during the day when occupied and the other for added security at night and when away?

Reply to
Bill

Sounds much like the classic Yale cylinder plus Chubb deadlock combi

If its a fully glazed door there's always a hammer for emergency exit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr