New LCD television how reliable

In message , Java Jive writes

No, you TPB

You're including the capital as well as the interest

Reply to
geoff

In a normal domestic setting there may be several appliances (entertainment, kitchen, etc) valued at a few £100 each. How many of those are likely to fail in any 5 year period? If you guess that no more than one of them will fail then all the money you need to save or have available is enough to repair or replace one item. You do not need to have enough to deal with all of them failing.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Nobody said you do

Reply to
geoff

Well of course final salary pensions are a bogus concept as is the notion of a company having its own pension scheme. After all, pensions is hardly the core business of, say, Ford, or British Airways, now, is it. Hmm well I guess these days with the tail wagging the dog perhaps it is.

People should organise their own pensions via a pensions company - and if you're lucky work for someone who'll also pay into it on your behalf.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

I was astonished to learn following the fire that gutted their Chichester store that Sainsbury never insured their premises.

Then, after the Big Read case, I learned that the BBC no longer carried copyright infrigment insurance. They had dismissed most of their copyright staff that kept them out of trouble.

Funny old world

Reply to
james

If you don't pay your insurance premium, you put that away. The interest on it is irrelevant. Put £200 away that you save by having no insurance, and that will pay for replacement of your £400 item. So, I don't think I've failed to understand at all.

Reply to
Norman Wells

Reply to
Java Jive

Not I, but I helped people who were paid a claim worth much >100 years' premiums last year. Claim was for damage to foundations, at least some of it caused by third party negligence (interference with drainage arrangements)

Reply to
Fergus O'Rourke

Not I, but I helped people who were paid a claim worth about 100 years' premiums last year. Claim was for damage to foundations, at least some of it caused by third party negligence (interference with drainage arrangements)

Reply to
Fergus O'Rourke

Yes, the current interest rate on investments is unusually low.

Nevertheless, the po>

Reply to
Java Jive

Hogg Robinson never used to insure any of their car fleet (effectively they self-insured).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sainsbury have a lot of stores so if they lose the odd one it may not cost as much as paying premium for all of them. I understand that at one time Woolworths did not have sprinklers in their stores because it was cheaper to have the occasional one burn down. Many large companies have huge deductibles per event subject to an aggregate limit for any one year. Some have their own captive insurance companies in the UK or offshore. Many multinationals have incredibly complex insurance programmes.

Reply to
Invisible Man

AFAIAA there are no LED TV's of decent domestic screen size(*) about. There are LCD's with LED backlight which isn't quite the same thing. But does allow them to control the level of backlight over small areas of screen and thus wind the backlight down in dark areas to enchance the contrast ratio of the LCD panel.

I'd also take a large pinch of salt with what ever Which? says.

(*) There are plenty of big screens that are LED but not many would have room for a 5m (203", 17' (ish)) to 14.6m (575", 48' (ish)) screen in their living room and be able to get far enough away from it.

Dave Liquorice

It's about that for us as well. Used to go once a month but now it's when we need to, about every 2 1/2 months and combine it with the weekly shop. I reckon we do just about save when you take into account the membership fee and the 50 extra round trip miles to get there and back. Bottled beer used to be about =A31.50/bottle, two cases would save enough over Tesco prices to pay the diesel... It really does depend on what you buy, we tend to go for long life bulk stuff and shorter life stuff that is needed at the time of the visit.

Makro is further away than Costco. Bookers is better, they have a branch in Carlisle, but have yet to convince them that I should be allowed to "join", not that I've tried very hard. Makro have a much bigger range of goods but prices are not quite as good as CostCo.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Re

Agreed, but this is Richer Sounds. If you can remember when the five years is up, then you have one month to claim a full refund.

Graham C

Agreed. It's about 45 miles for us, but I tend to go every 3 months and fill the car (on an early visit, we bought steel shelving to store it all!). I calculated that the saving on cat food alone paid for the fuel.

Exactly. My wife drives past half a dozen times a year (in a Ford Fusion) so she picks up some extra shorter life stuff with no real overhead. I pretty well fill the S-Max when I go, but it's less than 10 litres of diesel.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I remember a very good deal I got once. I bought several items (CD player, tape deck and sometthing else) and paid £29.95 for the three year warranty. Part of the deal was that you could go back any time (I went at

2 years 11 months) and get a 50% trade-in against new equipment. The other part was that the warranty was again extended for another three years!

They didn't repeat that offer, but it was a very good deal at the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Isn't there a person on the door checking cards as you go in? There is at Gateshead, mind you my photo is so worn that it's almost impossible to tell it's supposed to be me. Seems to be more of a trade/individual check than anything else.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can get 2 to 3% on cash if you look not that hard. Be prepared to tie the money up and you might get 4 or 5% but fixed. Dable in the safe end of the markets and you could do better than that.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Are you a big fan of Charlie Sheen?

Reply to