New Kitchen Supply

Hi all

I am looking to renovate the kitchen in the near future and currently have the floor up for plumbing works in the rest of the house. Want to put the kitchen on a separate circuit but am undecided how to proceed. There will be significant time delay between laying on feeds and new wiring in kitchen itself. The BCO are involved as the kitchen was the subject of some building mods recently.

So my thoughts are:

1 Break out kitchen feed from current downstairs ring, wire in old colours as far as kitchen loft to connect to existing circuit via joint boxes. This means that my kitchen ring, on completion, will be in mixed colours, but could almost be argued as "existing" prior to renovation. 2 Run feeds to kitchen loft in new colours and join to existing as far as kitchen loft to connect to existing circuit via joint boxes. This would make the additional circuit more obvious when they come to inspect first fix or final test.

Will they really be bothered? Previous inspection of work had formerly been by father-in-law (retired electrician up to current regs and usually involved in job anyway).

Thanks for your thoughts

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Definitely don't use the old colours. Just put the new runs in new colours, unterminated at each end until you need them. I presume you'll be entirely rewiring the kitchen in due course, so there is no need to attach the existing circuit to the new feeds until you do this.

Make sure you run enough cables. Think of all the circuits you need. My kitchen has:

2 x 2.5mm general purpose ring. 1 x 2.5mm fridge/freezer circuit. 1 x 6mm fixed appliance radial. 1 x 1mm lighting

If I had an electric cooker, I would have needed another 6mm for that, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Belt, braces and techno trousers??!!

What's on all those circuits??

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Well, the fridge/freezer is on the fridge freezer circuit. This has its own MCB so that it is likely to remain energised in the event of a fault elsewhere in the kitchen.

The fixed appliance radial has the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer on it. We typically run all 3 appliances simultaneuously and they would have entirely used up a 32A ring on their own if we attempted to plug it into the general purpose circuit.

The general purpose circuit just has the microwave, electric fan oven (2nd oven, so infrequently used), kettle, toaster etc. It will rarely approach the 32A limit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle