new kitchen questions

i wondered if anyone has opinions on the following kitchen options:

- water softener ( i do live in a hard water area -south east)

- food shredder , that attaches under the sink

- freestanding or oven built into units with hob built into work top, also gas or electric?

- types of lighting eg wedge / flourescent strip under wall units?

all views will help me decide on what to order, so thanks for any replies in advance

cheers

Reply to
benpost

Hi Wife prefers gas hob & electric oven. If its built in there is no need to pull out to clean :-) Al

Reply to
al

Gas freestanding hob, electric built in cooker installed at the right height for the cook - not the convenience of the kitchen fitter.

Fluorescent under wall units and lots of fluorescent in the ceiling - you need good light in a kitchen. Not downlighters which are probably the worst form of lighting you can go for and require frequent bulb replacement.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I know of freestanding cookers but what is a Gas Freestanding Hob ?

Reply to
Stuart B

If you are doing it to sell on, I'd forget the water softener and shredder.No-one's is going to go 'WOW!' over a w/softener.

Go for built-in cooker, for a streamlined look, gas hob, electric oven. Lights under units just get the cheapest and easiest to fit. If you have daytime viewings who will notice anyway.

For the main light I'd go for a good quality fitting with 4 halogen bulbs. Fairly easy to fit. A 5 foot fluorescent would be a lot better for even light but would make the kitchen look dated. Hope you haven't forgotten the dishwasher.

mark

Reply to
Mark

You haven't heard of the latest space saving device? The Tardis Hob maintains its position in space with no smelly exhaust fumes but has a temporal adjustment control which allows you to burn your offerings and then back off half an hour or so so they are merely cooked. When not needed it stores itself in L-space.

You would of course need to fit the associated temporal fire alarm and smoke detector accessory otherwise dinner would always be interrupted by the fire brigade.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I don't think too many people are selling on at the moment, at least not at a profit. See the logo on Kevin Keegan's new tracksuit.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I wonder if he will be kept out of the dwang with taxpayers' money.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

thanks for advice. definitely going to get a single oven built into a unit. with a hob above built in to the work top. probs gas hob and electric oven as has been suggested. may leave water softener and waste disposal, and just get a single sink and drainer. like the idea of a filtered tap, where it has a 3rd lever for clean filtered water, has anyone got one of these?

Reply to
benpost

In message , benpost writes

I don't know what age your prospective users are but at my age my back would much prefer a built-in oven which doesn't require me to bend down to access it than a built-under oven.

Reply to
Si

i dont think i have enough space to have any tall units, and have the oven how you suggest higher up. it would mean a tall unit and still an area for the hob. my plan doesnt include any tall units.

Reply to
benpost

I understand this to mean a garbage disposal unit?

If so, you get so they are essential and used all the time. A turkey carcass will go down one in under a minute, handy at Xmas and in the summer now we have the handy fortnightly bin collections.

The single direction ones are ok but you will have to un-jam it occasionally when someone shoves a bone down it. The reversing ones are good but twice the cost.

They are also very noisy so be prepared for a neighbour to turn up asking why you are doing "woodwork" in the night.

Reply to
EricP