New! Internet Fuel

dennis@home ( snipped-for-privacy@killspam.kicks-ass.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It doesn't measure how much fuel is unburnt. It measures oxygen. That's why it's called an oxygen sensor.

Reply to
Adrian

Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Low rolling resistance tyres certainly do work.

Claiming they don't would also imply that it's impossible to have tyre designs which decrease your economy - and if you've ever tried half-decent off-road tyres on-road...

Reply to
Adrian

doesn't - would show the thinking behind it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But of course the data is classified...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not so - if they reduce the rolling resistance the fuel economy will improve. I'm not saying they do but the principle exists.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly do.

You want better fuel econonmy? add +50% to your tyre pressures.

Just don't blame me when traction goes all to hell and they wear a stripe out of the middle and the ride feels like theres no suspension left. And the handling goes twitchy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be one of the few things that can change fuel consumption. Different tyres have different rolling resistance.

Reply to
dennis

Would you like to explain how it measures the oxygen then?

Reply to
dennis

Don't be silly.

It's called Physics.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Probably true in the Perkins factory, but in the world as a whole, I'd guess there are more petrol engines.

"Throttle" I say to you.

Reply to
Autolycus

Maybe it has an effect when the engine is in overrun but when it is actually doing anything it needs the same volume of air per stroke to get the compression needed to burn the fuel.

Maybe I should have stated the same volume of air per revolution?

Reply to
dennis

If you think of a carburettor the volume of mixture admitted to the engine is controlled by the throttle. Without one the engine would try to run at maximum speed. Most injection systems are exactly the same - the throttle controls the air admittance and the injectors supply the correct amount of fuel for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com saying something like:

Agreed.

Fuck off and take a spring cruise.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Funny. I thought it was called a lambda sensor..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No it doesn't.

State what you like, its still false.

In a petrol engine, the fuel air ratio is kept relatively constant, and the total air volume is reduced to reduce power. The actual pre combustion pressures at say tickover or cruise are really very low indeed.

In a Diesel, the air volume is kept the same, and te fuel amount reduced to reduce power.

Which is why diesels are markedly more efficient at part throttle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dennis@home ( snipped-for-privacy@killspam.kicks-ass.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Adrian

Put a voltage across a catalyst and the fuel will combine with the oxygen to heat the catalyst.. this changes the resistance so you can measure it. Nothing I can see in that article suggests this isn't the case.

Reply to
dennis

The message from "dennis@home" contains these words:

"An automotive oxygen sensor, also known as an O2 sensor, lambda probe, lambda sensor, lambda sond or EGO (exhaust gas oxygen) sensor, is a small sensor inserted into the exhaust system of a petrol engine to measure the concentration of oxygen remaining in the exhaust gas"

Does it matter how it works? The wikipedia article is only one of a number to be found on the net one of which is specific as to how it works. I can't actually find anything that supports your view of the universe, not that that surprises me.

By your reckoning a breathalyser doesn't measure alcohol impairment.

Reply to
Roger

It measures breath alcohol levels.

Reply to