New injectors for oil boiler

I remember reading in my boiler manual that one could replace the injectors with higher "power" versions to get a higher heating output from the boiler itself. I'm being a bit lazy by asking here rather than re-checking the manual, but is it normal to be able to up the output of an oil boiler by just replacing the injectors?

Thanks, Piers

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I would have thought not, since you have to be able to add more air, also, which would require a bigger/faster burner fan. Oil boilers have to have their fuel/air mixture ratios set properly.

Reply to
Huge

Yes.

You can fit a larger nozzle to the oil burner to give a higher output but it would have to be type and size reccomended by the boiler manufacturer.

The oil pump pressure and air intake would have to be adjusted to suit. A flue gas analyser is a must too to get the correct set up.

Heliotrope Smith

You can get more energy out of the same air by using a richer mixture, sadly the efficiency drops quite smartly..some unburnt fuel will escape as will a much higher proportion of carbon monoxide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My boiler can accept a range of jets. The alternatives are specified in the manual.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Indeed. I think my manual may also talk about using a flue gas analyser to get the right fuel/air ratio. Sounds like a job for a pro, but it's good to know that it sounds feasible.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

If the boiler temperature is not already set to the max value, increasing it would allow you to get a bit more heat from the boiler.

The boiler size should be matched to the size of the radiators. Increasing the heat output from the boiler won't do you that much good if the radiators can't dissipate the heat.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I'm going to be adding quite a few extra radiators this year - so I don't need the extra power yet, but expect to soon.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson