New housing for outer London

I reckon that's spot on. Looking at my peers, I can see that the vast majority that are not married live by themselves. A few have divorced/split up (that's what prolonged commuting to Europe does for relationships...) and now live in separate dwellings.
If you think about the demographic changes that the country has gone through in the last 25 years, if a mere1m more people live as single entities than in 1978 then that would account for the the same demand on housing as an average immigration figure of 40,000 _unconnected individuals_ per year over the whole 25 year period. The former figure is probably vastly lower than actuality, the latter much higher. Immigration is a complete red herring.
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson

I think that one particular area that will bear the brunt of the new housing will be north-east of London - Herts and Essex, especially around places like Stansted. Compared to the areas around the north, west and south-west of London land and houses are cheap, with a lot of small towns in rural settings. Stansted airport is also earmarked for a large expansion, I believe. There's a lot of protest about this going on, so when building will actually start is anybody's guess.
Another place to look would be the Heathrow T5 development - this is going full steam ahead at the moment (but ISTR that they have discovered archeological artefacts and things there, so dont' know whether this will have halted anything) and I think that there was great demand for people of all trades. Contract rates were rumoured to be high.
But this could all be incorrect - I only know about T5 because it's close to me & local press has stuff in about it, and Stansted because we'd idly considered moving there,before the new housing plans and airport expansion looked as if it might change the nature of the area.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Thank you for the reply.
I'm not in favour of mass building projects either but not like the political dimwits above who have their heads in the sand, I have to earn a living. Having sampled life in the back of beyond as well as life in the city I much prefer to be near a shop when I feel peckish.
When there is enough housing the prices will stabilise or fall until then there is a desperate need, so bad, that people will tie themselves and all their working capitol to unsuitable boxes in unpleasant areas for 3 to 4 decades. I don't think it is a crime against humanity to work my best for the best I can work for, if that will help them in any way. Do you?
On 15 Aug 2003 11:31:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Michael McNeil) wrote:

I respect others ability to choose their own lifestyle, however before the supermarket and family car came over the horizon the "feeling peckish" syndrom certainly existed. And its solution was to wander down to the farmers kitchen, collecting a couple of eggs from the hen shed on the way. And maybe helping out in the game of converting a pig on four legs to rashers of bacon. Etc.
;)
I hate to think what would happen to our society if a big rock fell out of the sky and destroyed our infrastructure - the human kind has largely forgotten how to fend for itself, and expects to be fed from the Tescos shelves.
Andrew
Andrew McKay wrote:

Or if a fire knocked the power grid for a while, I wonder how quickly things would deteriorate?
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /

I should think it would last a site longer than a plea for resources in a thread like this -which turns into a plaint for times past (which were always sunny and devoid of toil, where a six mile walk before breakfast was the norm (whatever frame of mind one was in at the outset and whatever the weather betimes) and a death by tubercular infection of some kind was not so much a threat but a way of staving off old age) before there are more than two sensible replies.
People are resourceful, have and always will be.

Don't know quite what your definition of 'back of beyond' is - presumably outside the M25 or north of the Watford Gap, or similar. I live in Skipton, N.Yorks. A small lively market town with a very good range of shops and amenities, including a 24hr Tescos (for when you feel peckish) and a good renage of restaurants, 15 minute walk/5 minute car journey away. I commute into West Yorkshire on a very modern fleet of Electric Trains, so reliable you could virually set your watch by them. They are comfortable, air conditioned and rarely overcrowded. If you do hanker for something more cosmopolitan, Leeds is about 1 hour by car, slightly quicker on the train. Personally an occasional sortie for Tapas... or Sushi... or a classical concert at Leeds City Hall... or a gadget hunting trip :) is more enough for me.
If you can find work outside the S.East - and I know this is what determines everything - then consider your options, broaden your horizons - you may be pleasantly surprised.
[Yorkshire advertising spiel over ;-) ]

P.S. You don't have to live in a shoe box up here either.
snipped-for-privacy@holmes24.co.uk (Flat Eric) wrote in message

In this case the back of beyond was a medium sized caravan sans plumbing or electricity and gas lighting that required a walk of over a mile for a new bottle every so often; not funny in winter or summer.
Milk was sterilised (ie unpalatable) and the toilet was a polythene bucket. The village was some 200 to 300 hundred souls all told and the job was labouring which was a struggle as I had a problem keeping things fresh for sandwiches etc and the money was always very, very tight.
I now live in Stoke on Trent. The place is excellent but that is because I am white. I am perfectly aware that even the nicest of my neighbours is a founder member of the British Nationalist party at heart.
I have no problem finding work nowadays because there is so much about. However I have just come out of hospital after a bowel resection. I will be unfit for work for several months and as I have no licence I shall be unable to transport my toolkit which is both extensive and heavy.
If and when I get my licence back -which I lost through drunk driving (a complete one off I assure you) I shall buy a van for the security for my kit and to sleep in if I decide to look for work in an area where the pay is astronomical. I should then be able to afford to move back into the back of beyond for the off times, as and when they occur.
If anyone with a full licence and a feeling for second fix joinery would care to party up with me when I am fitter let me know.

Fair enough - I think this qualifies for back of beyond!

Was this in the UK? After a period of travelling in Central & S America a few years ago I can relate to these sort of hardships.

Sounds like you've had a pretty rough time. Hope you manage to get things sorted and on your feet quickly.
Since this has got completely off topic now, there is a source of help/strength that you may well never have considered. It is inadequate to just drop these links in really, but I don't want to go on. For what it's worth, here they are; have a read of them and explore the site further if you wish. Have a think about it. Its totally up to you. http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PS+46:1&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on
http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=MATT+11:28&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on
All the best

Allegedly they are due to build 3,000 new homes in the Trimleys between Ipswich and Felixstowe. Bidwells are involved in this. Early days yet, so don't know when they start in earnest (if at all).
Cheers Dave R