New Houses - any good?

"Martin Angove" wrote | * Why build a garage that is only large enough to be used as a | tool store?

So you don't get into the habit of parking the car in it!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Peter Ashby" wrote | > I'll grant the convenience of en-suite shower/bathrooms. However, | > I've yet to see a modern (as in less than 10 years old) with a "study | > room" that would actually be capable of holding a decent sized desk | > and a filing cabinet :-( | I've looked at some new ones to rent where the stated 3rd bedroom would | barely fit a small 2 man sofa.

My aforementioned friend in Milton Keynes can barely fit a small 2-person sofa in the sitting room.

Oh well, Builders From Hell on ITV shortly, should cheer us all up.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Blame the ISP.

Automatically done

Reply to
IMM

Yeah, sorry for the rant. Wasn't in a good mood last night. Who exactly is your ISP?

And is the ISP responsible for inserting the sig too, or is that down at your end? Surely there must be a setting to change somewhere.

:-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

[small garages]

I dunno. I've yet to come across a garage which is as usefully close to the garden as it is to the "driveway". Integral garages usually seem to have a utility room between them and the garden when what you really need is a door directly into the garden so that you can get the lawnmower out without too much hassle. Separate garages are usually just too far away to be useful as garden stores - most developers seem to put them in front of the house if possible.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

I meant weight, not colour! Talking about that American lady, what she does is not exactly rocket science. You turn up in a filthy house, remove all the chintz and slap some magnolia over it.

Reply to
StealthUK

That and the 6'6" ceilings, or whatever the hell they are. If I can't practise my golf swing indoors without removing chunks of plaster, it's not a proper house in my book.

Reply to
John Laird

Most new houses I have seen (depending on plot of course) tend to have the driveway at the side of the house and the garage behind with the garage having a door to the garden.

Lawnmowers and garden tools are best in an insulated shed.

Reply to
IMM

A bit more to it than that.

Reply to
IMM

Yes. News and mail readers recognise the dash-dash-space sequence and automatically trim sigs from follow-ups and replies. As your sig is dash-dash-dash Gravity (my newsreader) failed to do so, hence what it below being below.

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

ATM the back of my garage has a door straight into the garden which, as you say, is handy for getting the lawnmower etc. out. However, the extension that's about to go up will be across the back of the garage so I'll lose that benefit (hence the need to retain the path down the side of it). At least I will now have a door into the garage from the house so I won't have to go outside in the middle of winter to reset the mcb when a light bulb blows.

Reply to
parish

That's a point; this is the first integral garage that I've had and tools etc. don't go rusty anymore (and it's not too cold to work in there in winter).

Reply to
parish

Just about every News reader, not just Gravity.

In IMM's case he's using OE which has broken sig-dashes[1] anyway so even if he used that to add the sig, rather than the AV software it would still be wrong. Guess /he/ just can't win ;-)

[1] It correctly adds dash-dash-space but then strips the trailing space when sending. Duh!

Reply to
parish

"Terry" wrote | It and some other programmes such as redecorating one room in | your neighbours house in 24 hours for $1000 or less, called IIRC, | "Changing places".

Changing Rooms?

The "you don't think they'll mind if you nail some MDF to granny's antique furniture and paint it to look Egyptian" school of interior des, er, disaster.

The British version had Carol or Linda or whoever (can't remember which) design some suspended glass shelves for the house owner's collection of (some rather valuable) china teapots.

The room was 'dressed' and all the teapots in place on the glass shelves suspended by rope from the ceiling, and everyone was in another room (the owner in another house) when

CRASH TINKLE TINKLE

The ceiling fixings gave way and the entire caboodle descended gravitationally floorwards.

Carol or Linda or whoever had to go round to the owner and say, "you know your collection of teapots? well, they're *all* gone". More smashed than a Clyde shipwelder after closing time on payday.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I whole heartily agree with this, this is what i'm doing and have high ceilings 9ft down 8½ up and 12ft in the loft/ boys’ rooms. I wanted a big garage so i've built one 30ft by 20 ft, the list goes on. I can’t push self-build enough but it’s taken me 3 years from buying plot to now and we are still not finished. It’s Very hard on her indoors having to choose everything its a lot harder than you think. Rob

Reply to
rob w