New Houses - any good?

Page 3 of 3

Yeah, sorry for the rant. Wasn't in a good mood last night. Who exactly is your ISP?

And is the ISP responsible for inserting the sig too, or is that down at your end? Surely there must be a setting to change somewhere.
:-)
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

Yes. News and mail readers recognise the dash-dash-space sequence and automatically trim sigs from follow-ups and replies. As your sig is dash-dash-dash Gravity (my newsreader) failed to do so, hence what it below being below.

Colin Blackburn wrote:

Just about every News reader, not just Gravity.
In IMM's case he's using OE which has broken sig-dashes[1] anyway so even if he used that to add the sig, rather than the AV software it would still be wrong. Guess /he/ just can't win ;-)
[1] It correctly adds dash-dash-space but then strips the trailing space when sending. Duh!

IMM wrote:

Except that it's integral (not that that makes it impossible, just more expensive) and is only a metre from the boundary and that metre is where the path for access to the rear is.
I was thinking about converting it into an extra room but it would possibly affect it's saleability should we move; although it would have more rooms and most people don't seem to use the garage for their car anymore it is used for the kids bikes/toys and as a workshop. An Estate Agent I know confirmed this.

parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote:

I would love to knock our concrete sectional down and build even a slightly bigger one in some material that lets me hang stuff on the walls easily. I would build it as a garage for saleability but use it exclusively as a workshop.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote:

It didn't because the bank was happy to take the developer's valuation apparently. I am only reporting the situation.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

Why do you think the bank should decide this? Why do you think I was referring to a valuation?
Very much depends on the home builder. Have seen some real bad work, plasterboard nails coming out of ceiling, poorly installed plumbing resulting in dodgy flow, cement used to level wooden floorboards (on unlevel joists), and artex still being used to cut corners.
They do the best finish on the show house/flat, so that is the one to go for if you do decide to buy one.
The main thing I hate about new build is the light doors and walls that just feel like you're living in a temporary house.

Not the light LOOK, the light FEEL. Like everything's made of cardboard. Which it probably is.
Didn't we have this discussion a few months back when you were extolling the virtues of building your house out of a sandwich of WBP and expanding foam?
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

I daresay a quick google would reveal that we are once more heading down the interminable road to hell that beckons whenever a thread on property catches Adam's eye. Sometime soon I expect he will switch to spouting about land ownership, if he hasn't already.
Deja vu, gaagh.
Cheers Clive

I meant weight, not colour! Talking about that American lady, what she does is not exactly rocket science. You turn up in a filthy house, remove all the chintz and slap some magnolia over it.

A bit more to it than that.
"Terry" wrote | It and some other programmes such as redecorating one room in | your neighbours house in 24 hours for $1000 or less, called IIRC, | "Changing places".
Changing Rooms?
The "you don't think they'll mind if you nail some MDF to granny's antique furniture and paint it to look Egyptian" school of interior des, er, disaster.
The British version had Carol or Linda or whoever (can't remember which) design some suspended glass shelves for the house owner's collection of (some rather valuable) china teapots.
The room was 'dressed' and all the teapots in place on the glass shelves suspended by rope from the ceiling, and everyone was in another room (the owner in another house) when
CRASH TINKLE TINKLE
The ceiling fixings gave way and the entire caboodle descended gravitationally floorwards.
Carol or Linda or whoever had to go round to the owner and say, "you know your collection of teapots? well, they're *all* gone". More smashed than a Clyde shipwelder after closing time on payday.
Owain
On 15 Jul 2003 09:39:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (StealthUK) wrote:

That and the 6'6" ceilings, or whatever the hell they are. If I can't practise my golf swing indoors without removing chunks of plaster, it's not a proper house in my book.
--
John

"spog" wrote in message | SWMBO has been dragging me around showhomes again. I've tried all the | usual objections to avoid having to stump up for a new house ('too | expensive', 'tiny plot of land', etc) and tried the 'look how badly | made they are' tactic.
Unfortunately some of the advantages of buying a new house (it's brand new, can choose the kitchen and bathroom, etc) are lost as soon as they're bought, so in effect they depreciate just like almost-new cars. There will always be a *newer* house being built. Of course, this initial depreciation is usually more than offset by a rising housing market - but especially in London and the South-East of England, where many believe property is considerably over-valued, that rising market is not assured.
Because there is a fixed (or shrinking) supply of period properties with character, they are more likely to hold their value.
Disadvantages to a brand new house (apart from space, plot size etc):
1. There is nothing you can do to it that will increase its value quickly, so you cannot make a profit or gain equity in a falling market. If you buy an older house there is much greater potential for increasing its worth, whether it's just a repainting job or full restoration.
2. The garden will not be established.
3. Estate planning covenants that prevent you having anything taller than a blade of grass in the front garden and the like.
| I was a little surprised to see how badly finished some of the | showhomes were (considering they are supposted to be 'show' homes - | the name gives it a away, really) and it got me to wondering, just how | well made are new houses?
A friend's new house (a housing association shared ownership development in Milton Keynes) was, I thought, very well finished throughout especially considering it would be very much built to a budget. (That was after the sewer flooding the patio was sorted out.) But just because it was immaculately plastered didn't stop it being immaculately-plastered ticky-tacky.
Owain