New Houses - any good?

Except that it's integral (not that that makes it impossible, just more expensive) and is only a metre from the boundary and that metre is where the path for access to the rear is.

I was thinking about converting it into an extra room but it would possibly affect it's saleability should we move; although it would have more rooms and most people don't seem to use the garage for their car anymore it is used for the kids bikes/toys and as a workshop. An Estate Agent I know confirmed this.

Reply to
parish

I would love to knock our concrete sectional down and build even a slightly bigger one in some material that lets me hang stuff on the walls easily. I would build it as a garage for saleability but use it exclusively as a workshop.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

That isn't bureaucratic illogicality it is inventive getting around the rules to achieve the desired result. I believe it's called being as helpful as possible.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

My aunt and uncle used to live in a old farmhouse of various ages in Herefordshire. My Aunt had regular complaints about parts of the structure, the ones with character, iow wattle and daub and mentioned in the domesday book as a hunting lodge ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

It didn't because the bank was happy to take the developer's valuation apparently. I am only reporting the situation.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Why do you think the bank should decide this? Why do you think I was referring to a valuation?

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Very much depends on the home builder. Have seen some real bad work, plasterboard nails coming out of ceiling, poorly installed plumbing resulting in dodgy flow, cement used to level wooden floorboards (on unlevel joists), and artex still being used to cut corners.

They do the best finish on the show house/flat, so that is the one to go for if you do decide to buy one.

The main thing I hate about new build is the light doors and walls that just feel like you're living in a temporary house.

Reply to
StealthUK

Who puts cars in garages anyway? The police recommend not to put them in as a car outside is a deterrent to burglars.

Reply to
IMM

Who puts cars in garages anyway? The police recommend not to put them in as a car outside is a deterrent to burglars.

Reply to
IMM

Who puts cars in garages anyway? The police recommend not to put them in as a car outside is a deterrent to burglars.

Reply to
IMM

Who puts cars in garages anyway? The police recommend not to put them in as a car outside is a deterrent to burglars.

Reply to
IMM

This is to appease the greenies who are funded by large landowners to keep people out of the country so they can keep their lucrative acres. Only 7.5% of the land mass is built on. So much for emotive words like "urban sprawl" and "concreting over the countryside".

Reply to
IMM

Well, I used to leave my car outside and for my pains the bl**dy burgler smashed the window looking for stuff before attempting entry to the house!

Reply to
mich

Well, forgive me returning to the rant but in that case, what in the name of all that is sane is the bloomin' point having a flippin' garage in the first place?????

If it's an integral garage then 5m by 2.5m is a nice size for a dining room.

If it's a separate building then 5m by 2.5m probably cost three or four grand to build which could buy you a *very* nice kitchen or a landscaped garden or...

As for a car outside being a deterrent, I doubt that very much. Any sane criminal is going to know when you're in or out, and any opportunist isn't going to care. And what about the perp who wants to steal the car itself, or the contents thereof?

My point is this:

If you want a garage, at least build it big enough so that you can get into and out of the car comfortably, and preferably large enough so that you can fit a child into a car seat and open the boot too.

If you can't build it that big then it is no more than a glorified garden shed filled with lawnmowers and bikes, so why not build it so that it is accessible from the garden and come clean that that is what it is?

Grrr!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

And for crying out loud, why the heck did your newsreader see fit to post this drivel FOUR times? And get the sig. sorted eh? It's TWO dashes and a SPACE, not three dashes.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Not the light LOOK, the light FEEL. Like everything's made of cardboard. Which it probably is.

Didn't we have this discussion a few months back when you were extolling the virtues of building your house out of a sandwich of WBP and expanding foam?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

It's sad, I know, but at the same time as the garage survey (update: had a few recent brochures which were not included, and the widest single garage is now 2.71m, up from 2.65m) I also did a bedroom survey on 4-bed houses.

The conclusions are a bit odd because I looked at the largest and smallest dimensions of the rooms rather than just the floor area, but for 4-bed houses, the average "large" dimension of the 4th bedroom was

3.11m and the average "small" dimension was 2.48m. This from a sample of 30 house plans including some from Potton (timber frame makers), Westbury, Persimmon, Barrat, Wimpey and Wilcon (all developers). There was however considerable variation, unlike with the garages.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Don't rate your choice in car manufacturers then. Guess you ought to stop buying Ladas, because the last 6 new cars I've bought have been faultless from the day I collected them.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

I daresay a quick google would reveal that we are once more heading down the interminable road to hell that beckons whenever a thread on property catches Adam's eye. Sometime soon I expect he will switch to spouting about land ownership, if he hasn't already.

Deja vu, gaagh.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Unfortunately some of the advantages of buying a new house (it's brand new, can choose the kitchen and bathroom, etc) are lost as soon as they're bought, so in effect they depreciate just like almost-new cars. There will always be a *newer* house being built. Of course, this initial depreciation is usually more than offset by a rising housing market - but especially in London and the South-East of England, where many believe property is considerably over-valued, that rising market is not assured.

Because there is a fixed (or shrinking) supply of period properties with character, they are more likely to hold their value.

Disadvantages to a brand new house (apart from space, plot size etc):

  1. There is nothing you can do to it that will increase its value quickly, so you cannot make a profit or gain equity in a falling market. If you buy an older house there is much greater potential for increasing its worth, whether it's just a repainting job or full restoration.

  1. The garden will not be established.

  2. Estate planning covenants that prevent you having anything taller than a blade of grass in the front garden and the like.

| I was a little surprised to see how badly finished some of the | showhomes were (considering they are supposted to be 'show' homes - | the name gives it a away, really) and it got me to wondering, just how | well made are new houses?

A friend's new house (a housing association shared ownership development in Milton Keynes) was, I thought, very well finished throughout especially considering it would be very much built to a budget. (That was after the sewer flooding the patio was sorted out.) But just because it was immaculately plastered didn't stop it being immaculately-plastered ticky-tacky.

Owain

Reply to
Owain