New House Just Built - Pipes???

Girlfriend has moved into a new built Persimmon home in January. She wants me to put up an outside tap. No issues with plumbing it - but the pipes in the home are gray plastic in appearance types. All joints have silver "rings" round them. I'll need to get the Digital Camera out and take photos. There used on the heating pipes as well.

Anyone any idea what these are - I assume push to fit, but some joints are down with old style compression's too.

Reply to
SantaUK

On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:36:18 +0100, "SantaUK" strung together this:

Sound's like Marley Equator fittings. Have a google on them.

Yep, but not dismantleable though.

That's fine, as long as the pipe has the coorect inserts or liners, erm, inserted. These are metal reinforcing rings that go on the inside of the pipe to prevent deformation. I'm assuming there's meant to be a question in there somewhere, if it was how do I connect the new pipes to the plastic pipework then it depends what the new pipe is. Personally I'd use copper through the wall, and through the service valve inside then just cut a tee into the plastic pipe inside, remembering to use the liners. The tee could be conpression or a matching Marley Equator.

Reply to
Lurch

Tsk,tsk. Mr Pole, they are dismountable. They supply a special plastic tool of this.

Reply to
IMM

Use a plastic tap for outside as it is les likely to freeze up.

Reply to
IMM

I also thought it might be Equator, PEX.

I'd do all the connection in Equator. The advantage over copper is that it won't split if it should freeze. I'd mortar a 22mm copper pipe sleeve into the wall, pack the space between the two pipes with insulation material and mastic it in.

You'd probably need a double-check valve, to prevent the contents of your hose, pond, paddling pool, etc., being syphoned back into the mains if the pressure should fail. Anyone care to quote chapter & verse of the relevant regulations?

Reply to
Aidan

No, they aren't. They are just less likely to burst. But since it's very rare for taps to burst...

Reply to
Grunff

You are right. A double check valve is needed. Some taps now have them built-in.

Reply to
IMM

Can you get a plastic outdoor tap - the sort you can attach an ordinary hose to? I'd have thought it too weak - the threads wouldn't last five minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thats the stuff m8 - thanks for that.

Reply to
SantaUK

My replacement brass outside tap with check valve blows at the drain point at the slightest provocation. The small brass drain screw and rubber washer seem too loose. Never had this problem with the old non-check valve tap. What the OP won't be able to use is those outside tap kits they sell everywhere, as those have a clamp on tap for the inside which has to go onto copper.

Reply to
BillV

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:07:12 +0100, Dave Plowman strung together this:

You can, but they're crap.

Since when was IMM concened with offering people round here sound and reasonable advice?

Reply to
Lurch

On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:26:50 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

Seeing as no-one else has told you otherwise, I'll assume you're correct. I still think you're a pillock though.

Reply to
Lurch

I have seen them, but they aren't widely available - probably because of the mechanical weakness.

Reply to
Grunff

together

Mr Pole, you are bitter and twisted. You have been proven pillock, and know nothing of pipework, yet continue to give misguided advise on topic you notjing at all. Have you tried therapy? I will do you good.

Reply to
IMM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:03:13 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

I know.

I missed that one, care to provide a link possibly.

The words pot and kettle spring to mind. At least I'll admit my mistakes, whereas you seem to completely ignore the fact that you just write drivel.

No, I'm too tight.

No you won't.

Reply to
Lurch

together

Self awareness. A progression.

Mr Pole, now Bean you have low attention span, so most of what you read, beside Enid Blyton writings, would appear drivel.

You need to find the money and quick.

Yes it will.

Reply to
IMM

CHEAT your original post said "I will do you good" which as Lurch pointed out is unlikely

Reply to
Nick Brooks

I will do him good as well. The first thing he has to do is Google all my uk.d-i-y posts, print them off, and read them all 4 times a day. This is the first stage of Mr Pole, becoming a more complete person, instead of the shambles he now is.

Reply to
IMM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:17:13 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

See, you've clearly spotted a mistake that you made, and rather than admitting it decided to try and alter it in later posts. You obviously have some sort of problem(s).

Reply to
Lurch

Congratulations. You've just invented the most horrible torture. Ever thought of a career in Iraq? I'll help with the ticket...

Reply to
Dave Plowman