New homeowner: what is this huge water tank for?

Aarrg, you just rekindled a supressed memory from my student days in a shared old terrace house. For weeks there had been a growing nasty odour around the bathroom, particularly when having a bath. We supsected the drains but I had a feeling it was the water itself. The landlord insisted repeatedly he could find nothing. One day we returned home to find a soggy decomposed bird lying on the slabs outside the back door. This roused my suspicion and I challenged the landlord. To start with he was cagey, then the slimeball admitted he had found it in the tank and must have "overlooked" it when he previously checked. Why he chose to dump the carcass like that is beyond me. "heeby jeebies" pretty much describes the feeling we had wondering what we had been bathing in, drinking and brushing teeth in for weeks. I don't think the bathroom tap was mains fed and I do know one flatmate had a habit of filling the kettle from the hot kitchen tap. The fact it would be boiled didn't make me feel any better. Yuk.

AA

T> When we lived in Cheltenham the next door had two

Reply to
AA

Thanks for the lesson!! As the OP is a new home owner he would, more than likely, have heard of the term "immersion heater" but may not know what to look for if searching for a "hot water cylinder" and may have had to come back to ask again. Also if he doesn't have gas and doesn't turn the "immersion" on it would in fact be a COLD water cylinder. Now go away and play with the mains!

John

Reply to
John

Its been a bit but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied

- answered my question marvelously.

Thanks again, David

Reply to
Dave