New(?) Home security product

I'm after a really simple home security system. Don't want to pay for monitoring, but do want something that stops me/kids from coming home and disturbing an intruder, perhaps alerts my neighbours / friends etc. Plus links in to smoke detectors...

I've been looking at the new(?) BT product called Home Monitoring which looks right up my street

Doesn't seem to have any extortionate monitoring fees to pay, is reasonably priced and will text me on my mobile (I think) if the place is disturbed - also seems to be linked in some way to neighbourhood watch?..

Like the idea of one for my mum too as it has a panic button that she could use to get my attention easily (lives a few streets away but is fiercely independant!

Does anyone know anything about this product? Reviews or the like? I'm about to go for it I think ... but asking here just in case of any bad experiences.

Or do you have anything else to recommend that fits my security needs?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Lawrence

This company:

decent diy systems which will cover your needs. If you take the option with the speech dialler unit, then you set it up to dial any telephone number in the world and have it tell the recipient that the system has been activated. A simple press of a number key at the remote end, acknowledges that the call has been received before the unit then goes on to call up to another two numbers.

The control panel has options for 24 hr interlinked fire detection units and PA switches, so would cover that side of it for you. The BT Homesecure unit is good, but it has been showing signs of failure in some areas of the country, I think because of the digital technology it uses not being set up on some of the BT exchanges yet.

Best to phone around for a couple more days and find out what else is available before jumping in.

Reply to
BigWallop

Having looked through above briefly, argos do something similar at £200, with no ongoing monitoring

- cat no. 701/6035

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson