New hinge for old front door?

Hi,

My house is around 100 years old, or more, and one of the hinges on the front door has split. I am presuming that the door and hinge are either original, or very old. It's a very heavy door, and a substantial hinge.

The hinge is 3.5 inches high, and 2 inches wide, (when open), and I cant seem to find any sources of this size of hinge - any ideas.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Is there any pressing reason to replace the hinge with an exact match? I'd start by looking in

for a suitable hinge. Possibly 4 hinges, and cut more recesses.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Errm Screwfix has hinges up to 100mm high, which sounds suspiciously close to 3.5in, in fact up to 4" high "Heavy Duty Double Pressed Steel Butt Hinge" £11.94

100 years old doesn't sound as if it will be anything other than a standard butt hinge, but if you need "Holy Lord" or other unusual types, try
which has a wide range of reproduction 18th and 19thC hinges.

Other (US) sources:

in $, so cheap if you can get them to ship to the UK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I suppose I was hoping I could buy one and screw it in. I was never any good at woodwork, and cutting recesses fills me with trepidation - I'm sure I would make a mess of it.

However, your suggestion is probably the right way to go. 4 strong hinges should mean it will never happen again. I might get a joiner to cut the recesses, (and possibly fit the hinges)

Many Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I was hoping to get away without any woodwork, but it seems like the sensible way is to do it properly with 3 or 4 new hinges and recesses.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner