New heat exhanger leaking allready?

Hi

I installed a new heat exhanger in my ideal response 120 just over 12 months ago and now I am having to top the pressure up again every 2 months, surely the new exhanger hasn't started rotting allready dammit. I hate ideal.

rant over.

thanks

Reply to
Block

Have you got inhibitor in the system? As well as helping prevent corrosion it seals small leaks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't see how. It appears to consist mainly of boric acid, which is very soluble in hot water. I wonder what could be forming the seal.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No it doesnt. You can of course add a little compatible internal leak sealer

Reply to
cynic

Indeed - sorry. I had an idea a combined type was available but looking at the Fernox site it's not. But it may not have been Fernox I was thinking of.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:21:42 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Block" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

My mother's boiler was replaced by a less-than-reputable company (Merseyside Central Heating) with an Ideal. The heat exchanger had a catastrophic leak 14 months later.

Ideal sent a replacement H/E to be fitted by the original company, on the understanding that they would retain the old one for testing. They wrote back a few weeks later to say that the fault was due to a small crack which was caused during installation.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

A Response is a condensing boiler without suitable provision or materials for the condensate , the heat exchanger will always corrode.

Your best bet is to run the boiler on as high a setting as possible, with as low a primary pressure as you can get away with and with leak sealer in the primary. Leave all TRVs on max.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for replies

Reply to
Block

The Response IS NOT a condensing boiler and was never designed as one. It is about the only non-condensing boiler with a pre-mix burner that's all. It has a tube in tube heat exchanger. Your advice on running the boiler on a high water flow and the highest temp is sound. The boiler is now discontinued.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel