New gridwatch

I see TNP has rejigged this. Generally speaking better, but some comments:

1) Can the graphs grids be made fainter or not dotted and fainter still?

2) Can the graph lines be perhaps a pixel thicker, they're a bit pixel-y?

3) Small dials could do with being spaced a shade more apart or possibly shuffled a bit as all the long-label ones are on the same line.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Bloody eck Tim.

I didn't know the new DNS had propagated yet..

I will bear what you say in mind when I get to have a crack at the graph drawing stuff..its a bit buggy still - legends at the base are a bit off.

I can PROBABLY go to grey for the graph grids..but not TOO grey

Making graph lines thicker is..very hard! Given what graphics package I am using

Not sure what the beef is with the little dials..are you using Firefox?

They look fine to me..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DNS changes don't take long these days, certainly not the 48 hours or so that was the rule 10 to 20 years ago...

The lower row of dials overprint the legends for the upper row, at least in Mozzilla with a minimum font size set as well.

My big gripe is that it is designed to be shown full screen on a widescreen monitor, it doesn't fit a 4:3 screen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It does vary. I got caught out the other week as one zone had a 24 hour TTL set (most are 8 hours by default in my place). The TTL was honoured by many sites that look up that particular name on a regular basis (including a remote test site I use) which turned out to be a bit of a PITA.

These days, I set the TTL to 10 mins on individual hosts that I know I'll be changing in a couple of days.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not here it don't..Firefox 8.0..

Odd...PROBABLY you dont have the same font set that I do. I'll look into that with my gash windows setup

Hmm. OK I have found something that works OK on Windows (except IE6) and Linux..

Using Arial Narrow on winders and Verdana on Linux I think.

Yup. Nothing I can do there..unless you want to use CTRL - to resize the whole shebang to fit it in.

I needed to cram in all the graphs

I m,anged to get it on my opld laptop using in Firefaux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any chance of getting a graph to open much larger in a new window if you click on it. Would help my tired eyes.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

No bloody way mate!

Try CTRL +

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, some are.

Well e.g. the daily and monthly French graphs look quite cluttered.

Odd, the graph lines in fact looked better previously.

I see you're in the middle of messing with it :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

That was MRTG. This is totally new done with PNGwriter as a database strip.

the basic primitive is a 1 pixel wide line.

I tried to make it 2 pixels wide, but it wasn't happy :-)

I'll look into this next time I get a chance..takes a few hours to get in the coding zone.

Well I have finished for now.

Looks OK on Firefox on MaC OSX/win98 and Linux now

Cant tell about Chrome and opera and safari.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmmm, MRTG was more legible. Any particular reason to change?

OK.

Looks the same in FF8 as in Safari. Chrome and iCab also do it right, unsurprising I suppose as both are based in webkit.

Opera gets everything OK except for rendering the title. It pushes the text up so it is disappearing out the top of the window. But frankly my dear, I doan give a damn.

Reply to
Tim Streater

coding zone.

Looks fine on my ipod touch.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

On this 1366x768 16:9 screen, using firefox8 I have to scale it down one notch to fit the width (with the yearly graphs still dangling off the bottom), or two notches to fit the height (with blank space at the right)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not having the same font as your system is the most likely cause but trying on windows, linux or Mac probably won't help you either.

You can only ask a browser to use a particular font, you may or may not get it and font selection can be turned off by the user anyway. About the only reliable control you have is size, proportional, monospace, serif, sans-serif, cursive and fantasy and they are only type face styles not a font.

Just noticed that the longer graph titles don't fit the recessed area of the bezel. Getting images/graphics to play nicely with text can be tricky, the graphics need to be able to dynamically position themselves based on the actual rendered size of the text. I suspect thiscould get terribly messy that page were you have the fixed size of the graphs but variable size titles. I'm sure it could be done but it's not vital.

ctl - doesn't do anything in my browser... I wasn't expecting the page to be changed just pointing it out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

works in firefox

Not sure if you can 'zoom' IE 7/8

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hold ctrl and zoom in/out using either mouse wheel or +/- keys

You can.

Reply to
Andy Burns

coding zone.

This whole discussion is very interesting, but WTF is a gridwatch

Reply to
F Murtz

Andy Burns

Thanks for the pointer. Does exactly what I need.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Having said ctl - doesn't do anything last night it does this morning but it only affects the size of the text not the image(s).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's browser dependant, modern ones zoom the whole page, older ones just the text (unless you've fiddled with the browser.zoom.full zetting in firefox's about:config).

Reply to
Andy Burns