New gas service

We received a letter this morning announcing that the gas utility company will be installing a new service pipe down the entire street and to everyones meter, within the next couple of weeks.

Not entirely unexpected, because the old steel pipe which run along the back garden route are known to be rotten and leaking. They have been appearing regularly with the leak sniffers, every few weeks. Of ccurse everyone has built over the main pipe run, since the houses were built, so now hteir cheapest route is down the street and up individual drives.

So this morning, on reading the brief letter I rang them to see if I can find out anymore detail, but all I really found out was that they would have a consultation with us, before work began and that they were running the pipe along the street side, which means they will be likely disturbing the concrete of my drive.

It is front half rubbish, which needs replacing and half really good solid concrete. I'm now just wondering about how far they will go with reinstating the drive? What can we expect?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

The only new gas install I have supervised was moled in over a distance of 40ft or so, it went really well and stopped only once at which point the guys dug a discrete hole, removed the big rock that was blocking it and they sent it on its way again. It was under a lawn so less impact but it was v impressive nonetheless.

Reply to
fred

They may well send a new smaller plastic pipe down the inside of the existing metal pipe ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

They sent a lance which was pushed under the drive from the hole they dug i n the footpath by compressed air when they did our old house. Trouble was i t hit a tree root and came up through the concrete short of the house. They dug up the rest way and made a sh*t job of patching up. They also on reque st moved the gas meter outside free of charge but surprising for gas engine ers forgot to extend the earth bonding out to the meter.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

:-)

Reply to
ARW

On Thursday 14 November 2013 22:10 Tricky Dicky wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have seen the evidence here when the new main went in.

Moled over most of the distamce - holde dug in concrete where it needed to go round a corner.

Basic reinstatement - bit of concrete. Adequate but not pretty.

To the OP - they will probably line the pipe or mole as moch as they can. if they dig, do not expect gold-plated quality reinstatment. If it means a lot to you, you'd be better to ask them to fill the hole, and to do the top yourself as you'll make a better job blending it in.

However, they will by default leave you with a functional repair.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't panic!

They've just done this on the street where my daughter lives and they simply push a plastic pipe through the existing pipe to the property and connect it up to the meter.

The will dig a small hole in the road to find where your service pipe connects to the main and then push a small pipe up inside the old rotten one.

No disruption likely, just no gas for a day (they will send a gas guy around later in the day to purge the system and check everything is working).

That's what happened when they replaced all the mains around here a couple of years ago anyway :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

That may well be the bigger problem if they find something they don't like, like "inadequate ventilation".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, down my street it seems that some people have opted for a new drive, presumably paid for at least partly by themselves, while others have a noticeable line across them where its been dug up and repaired, yet others show no sign at all so I can only deduce that they tunnelled under it somehow. I must admit I never thought about this at the time, just cursing the plastic bollards and boards that made an appearance in different places each day on the footway!

I never had my poipe reconnected as I have no gas appliences. They would have had to digu up my garden to do it as the shoving yellow tubes down the old metal ones seems not to always work due to the naff condition of the metal, ie rusty. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes they lost a mole in our road and had to ask nicely to dig up a neighbours garden to get it out. I think the drive ways they do dig up are because they are very deep down or other services are under there they are wary about disturbing, but the annoying plastic planks do seem to get moved a lot by local hooligans. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, it is definately a new pipe all the way down the street and up the drives, cutting off the old pipe once the new is in place.

We've just had a visit from them and they say we will be without gas just for an hour or two, whilst the swap over takes place from old to new.

Just the negotion left now are to what they will dig up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield