New gas meter comes, old boiler fired.

This is near enough exactly what my brother got when changing from 'an ancient cast iron lump' to a condenser. And his gas bills are over 1000 quid a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a bit harsh on the original poster, he's on about a boiler service, time for you to show us "amateurs" how an expert like you would do it.

Any gas fired boiler, simple annual service, talk us through it.

Pick one you are familiar with, maybe the Alpha CD50, this isn't a trick question, no CORGI man will call, Transco have restored your gas supply, the Health and Safety Inspectorate won't be breathing down your neck again and there are a dozen junior hacksaws in a box ready for abuse ;-) Go on its not difficult.

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No - my house is massive and detached and stands in 7 acres of landscaped gardens.

But the boiler is situated in a nuclear bomb proof shelter. Just in case some wally like you was sent to service it. The padlock on the door is hacksaw proof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was. It was blown up and now you are in a sink estate; most of the time at the clinic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are making things up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thorn Apollo IIRC. It is a nice low water content job. I think most modern boilers use similar designs these days.

Reply to
dennis

Copper tube boiler of about 70-75% efficent when new. When old lower.

Nope. Copper tube heat exchangers are rare. Now it is stainless steel or silicon aluminium.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just read again. You can move your lips when reading, I don't mind.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So yet again you make a statement with no substance to back it up. Or obviously the knowledge to even guess.

What a wanker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

..can't understand

He just doesn't stop does he. The must be about to lock him up for night.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

82% according to the manual.

What is the mecanism for the reduction in efficency?

So they use poorer conductors, how's that significantly different?

Reply to
dennis

You forgot that Dribble doesn't need the figures from manual, and even if you quote undeniable facts to him he will disagree.

But, compared to letting his type roam the streets with a box of hacksaws, creating mayhem wherever he goes, it's infinitely more preferable to keep feeding him in here.

Reply to
Matt

That will be peak. The sebuk seasonal efficiencies will put this way low.

Burner fading. Fins corroding

It is more hard wearing and corrosion resistant in the condensing conditions.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Figures quoted by manufacturers in past times tended to be the efficiency you could get tested under ideal conditions. The SEDBUK approach tries to replicate real life conditions, in particular assuming 30% load for 50% of the time (IIRC). Big CF CI floor standing boilers like the one we had in our church could get 75% on the bench but the in-use efficiency is reckoned to be more like 55%

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Drivel just plucks figures from the air if he can't find a suitable advert to back his claims.

And can never give any 'scientific' proof off his own back because he doesn't understand the meaning of the word.

Best to ignore him. Others here will give good advice. And back it up with facts if challenged.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then service it.

But then you don't know how to do this, do you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

His boiler exploded.

Reply to