New gas meter comes, old boiler fired.

Even Drivel didn't say you'd get a 40% saving on gas - he said *up to* 40% - which is a bit different - and grossly optimistic at that unless you've got a literally 'stone age' boiler. As long as the 'iron lump' can be restored to reliable operation, stick with it - by the time a new boiler has paid for itself in fuel savings, *that* will need replacing.

Reply to
Set Square

Simple question, it was. Response completely as expected ;-) You are a masterpiece...

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Write like an idiot, insult and idiot, then you get treated like an idiot. Haven't you figured that out yet?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nope. 33% is the least you should expect.

You are totally mad. You don't know much about this game do you?

3 to 5 years?
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The OP's description was "a fifteen year old rarely serviced (probably never since new)" boiler so the new boiler may well save 40% on the present gas usage. But servicing the existing boiler might produce a double-digit saving.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

What a totally pointless response.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Note it's now changed to 'up to 40%'

Drivel gets all his figures from adverts. Think of him as a double glazing salesman and you won't be far out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got any mirrors in your flat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And this simply gives proof that you're not a pro, but simply a reader of adverts.

If you gave this in writing, you'd be out of business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, the boiler is unlikely to use that much gas when sooted up - if you continue to try and use it - and it does fire up - it will probably explode. ;-)

However, until that point I doubt the efficiency changed at all during the many years where it was working properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, fine, whatever....

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

I know enough to know that your 3-5 year payback period is totally false.

A realistic fuel saving is nearer 20% - say £80 p.a. on a £400 bill. That will give a payback period of *at least* 10 years - and even that ignores the increased servicing costs of complex condensing boilers.

I will leave it to other contributors to judge which of us is the madder!

Reply to
Set Square

I have a 24 year old boiler that's >84% efficient so it would take ages to get the costs of a new one back. There is not a lot to service either, just vac it out occasionally and check the flame is burning OK.

Were other boilers of that era significantly different?

PS. Can I move it to a new location if I build an extension or do I have to fit a new condensing boiler? Its only 50,000 btu so I might just keep it as a water heater (storage) and run the heating off a new one (in the attic?).

Reply to
dennis

It is clear you know this from experience. Took down a few houses in the street.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

10/10. Very good. Did someone tell you that at the home?
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Did someone tell you to laugh?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Greater than 84% efficient and 24 years old? Make and model please? More like 55% if that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Stop making things up. Also you would be saving the planet.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel