New gas boiler - Advice Please

I'm having a new gas boiler installed.

Currently, the gas meter is in the garage, and the new boiler will be located in the house, in place of the old one .

The house & garage are seperated by a 3ft wide path.

The existing gas pipes (There are 3 x 15mm pipes, feeding the gas fire, cooker, & existing boiler) running under the path between the garage & the house.

The plumber tells me the gas pipe between the garage & house has to be replaced with 22mm pipe.

My questions are:

1) What precautions have to be taken when running pipes under the path, should they be ran in some kind of protective ducting ?

2) Is it ok to use copper pipe, or should iron pipes be used ?

3) Will one 22mm pipe between the meter & the house be sufficient ?

(The existing pipes don't appear to be protected in any way, and I wan't to make sure the plumber complies with the relevant regulation(s) )

TIA, woodglass

Reply to
woodglass

ok, i agree the system should be upgraded to current standards, you need also to have an aditional emergency control valve (aecv) at the point where the gas enters the property/house, on the inside (this must be accesible in an emergency), the size of the pipe depends on the load placed on it by the appliances and the pipe should be 375mm under gardens and heavy traffic areas and 40mm under concrete paths/slabs when used for foot traffic (both measurements from surface)

copper pipe should be sleaved, and i would recommend 22 or 28mm copper pipe with bends if possible or soldered joints, the route of the pipes, meter and aecv should also be permanently displayed beside the meter and also the aecv, kinda telling any dumbass the situation with the gas supply! in addition the ground must be marked with tape above the gas pipe to show its route (obviously under the final covering of grass of slabs etc

hope this helps

Reply to
Gav

The pipe does not need to be sleeved. Direct burial plastic coated or wrapped in denso is enough. There are some dedicated direct burial pipes that only require compression joints.

Doctor Drivel

copper pipe should be sleaved or wrapped! it is in the regs si number 2451!

Reply to
Gav

I'll look. But if that is the case then direct burial pipe should be sleeved, as pipe is er, er, pipe.

I would go for the stainless direct burial pipe as if a shovel hits it, it can resist the force better.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Surely, if a corgi registered gas fitter is installing a new boiler he should be uptodate with all the regs and the op is worrying for nothing. !

-- the_constructor

Reply to
the_constructor

I tend to agree that there is some breakdown in the trust between the OP and the fitter.

If the OP has concerns that the work is/has not been done right then they can ask CORGI to check it over. BUT If I had a customer like that I would firstly make sure that the work was by the book and then some and secondly that I would have as little to do with them as possible from then on.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Bzzzt!

"The recommended method of providing [corrosion] protection on-site is to use bituminous paint or PVC wrapping tapes. It is therefore not appropriate to use grease-impregnated tapes in the future"

CORGI "Gas Installer" magazine, Jan 2006: "Changes to BS6891:2005"

Reply to
John Stumbles

Are you kidding?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

message

No I am not, or was that a tongue in cheek response ?

Ed said, quote 'If the OP has concerns that the work is/has not been done ri ght then they can ask CORGI to check it over'

I was chatting to someone the other day who thought that the gas fitter had done something wrong on an installation and had had Corgi inspect the work. In this case, Corgi passed it 100%.

-- the_constructor

Reply to
the_constructor