New Flats and Electric Heating

Nothing can stop the latter. One of the reasons for bringing in air pressure testing on the last revision of Part L is that ventilation losses are now much more significant; they joy (speaking as an ex-BCO) is that pressure testing exposes defects in what cannot be seen, not just what is visible.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes, I think that's a great idea although an air tight inner shell can still have its insulation compromised by sloppy work. I've seen guys insulating with celotex circumventing the insulation by not fitting it tightly or leaving gaps when using up offcuts. I don't think the guys were doing it deliberately, they just didn't understand how important it was to fit things in tightly or seal up gaps with foam. As it's not something that can be tested easily afterwards a sloppy team could do just about anything they wanted and get away with it.

Reply to
fred

Sutherland Tables comparative heating costs (May 2009 Scotland) for a

2 bed mid terrace house, 11100kWh space hearing and 2000kWh water heating p.a.

Electric radiators, day, and immersion water, day at ScottishPower tariff £1929

Storage heaters living rooms, electric rads bedrooms, immersion heater, White Meter No1 tariff £1102

Gas fired condensing boiler and rads on British Gas direct debit tariff would be £735 for comparison.

Obviously actual consumption will vary but that shows the relative costs of gas vs electricity.

Owain

Thanks Owain, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm after the difference in cost (consumption) between a 60s poorly insulated property and a 2000s (relatively) well insulated property.

I know how much the 60s property costs/uses as I lived in it for 9 years.

With SRs, I used 10-11,000 of night units and 2,000 day units per year (for everything), though that was to heat at a level that some would say was inadequate.

Now I need to understand how much it costs in the modern property with panel heaters, to assess, amongst other things, why they don't install SRs from new?

tim

Reply to
tim....

A useful link for you:

tim

Reply to
tim....

This is the issue. I don't know. On the second hand property I can look at the CU to find out, but in the new build I have no access to do this.

I've discovered this myself. I can't sleep in a bedroom with a SR.

There are no large bedrooms in newbuilds (of the size that I am looking at) :-(

Which is why they are floor supported :-)

I've seen it once. It was billed as a "good" thing.

I've noticed.

Thanks

tim

Reply to
tim....

Why not just say what you mean instead of using an obscure acronym? Then, to refer someone to a list of obscure acronyms is just plain rude. It would have taken less effort to type what you should have said in the first place.

Reply to
Bruce

I take it you're incapable of reading down to the one that says "real estate" next to it (or do you need a translation from merkin?)

tim

Reply to
tim....

Why can't you use simple English in the first place? Rather than post something that people can easily understand, you seem determined to make it difficult for anyone reading your posts.

Once again, you have typed far more letters in your (even more obtuse) reply than are in the original phrase. This was your third opportunity to say what you meant in simple English, yet all you do is refer to the same list of obscure acronyms.

What a waste of time and space.

Reply to
Bruce

I'm sure they do =A3100+/month is a big single bill but I expect they forget they don't have a gas or oil bill to go with it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gas would be nice we are about 2 miles from the nearest mains gas, doesn't stop British Gas trying to sell us gas though. I'd probably buy, but only probably, if they provide it (at their cost...).

You get about 10kW/l from oil so take your pence per litre and divide by 10 to give a rough "unit" price. Last lot of oil I bought (25 Jan) was 40.78p/l so about 4p/unit. I'm paying 9.281p/unit for electric.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed, but they I think, have a no standing charge billing system anyway..

Reply to
tony sayer

With that level of use a no standing charge tariff makes no difference to the bill. The Tier 2 cost and unit cost of the same tariff with a standing charge are normally the same but the Tier 1 units cost more. Strangely the cost difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 multiplied by the number of Tier 1 units is the same as the standing charge...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is nursey not there to help you with your acronyms?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Absolutely NO chance of mains gas here. There's a sort of semi-mains setup in (IIRC) Thurso, where there's a large tank, piped to a number of homes, so from the point of view of the user, it _feels_ like mains gas, but the settlements here are far too strung out for that to work.

Just what I need. Thank you.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What did your nursey say it was?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I do not need a nursey to help me with acronyms.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did she help you with your leucotomy bag?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Not something you'd have a problem with since that DIY trepanning attempt you made with your junior hacksaw, is it ?

Reply to
geoff

Buggered his hacksaw though.

Reply to