New flat - radiator valve question

I've just moved into a new flat and one of the living room radiators has a simple adjustment valve that runs from "*" to "Max". Unfortunately it seems to be stuck on max. When I take the top of the valve off, the rotating section inside seems to lower onto a small pin set in the middle of a hexagonal piece of plastic in the main body of the valve. It looks as though this pin is supposed to be pushed down by adjusting the heat setting downwards towards "*". Is there anything I can do to check or fix this, or does it simply need to be replaced? Thanks.

[To email go to my address and take out the dog...]
Reply to
Jim

Otherwise know as a Thermosatic Radiator Valve (TRV).

Odd, this is the time of year when people find that have stuck shut after being closed all summer.

Still the solution is the same, *gently* manipulate the pin with a pair of pliers (try not to damage it with grip marks) and see if you can get it moving up and down freely. It may still need some force but a thumb should do it without being too painful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheers Dave - you mean this little pin thin should go down an up and is just stuck on up? Can I just be clear - do I want it to turn or to go up and down? In other words. should I twist it with pliers or hit it with a hammer? :-)))))

[To email go to my address and take out the dog...]
Reply to
Jim

Yes, just up and down.

I'd use a small pair of pliers just to grip the pin then a little rotation to break the seal then up/down to free it off. If it still won't shift a gentlw tap or three from a small hammer would be next.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice