New fence post in old hole

So it was you!!!

I have one post where they must have dumped the last half load around the post. The concrete is about 3 feet across and god knows how deep as I have never found the bottom. I put the spur in by chiselling a hole into the concrete and leaving most of it there.

The others I just split the concrete with a sledge, removed half and dropped the spur in.

You don't need to replace the posts as they will last another 20 years once bolted on. You also don't have to disturb the fence either as you would to fit one of those hammer in fixings that rust away after five years. They may be quicker but they are not the best.

Reply to
dennis

You left most of the hole?

You make it sound so easy. In fact I do not believe that you have done it.

So you have to replace after 20 years then?

Sorry to point out the obvious, but when a fence post snaps then the fence is usually disturbed. It's one of those tell tale signs that the post has snapped.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

... snipped

Not that I would wish to spoil a good argument, but I've had wooden posts rot through and just sway rather than falling over.

I must agree that the hammer-in metpost things ae not very good - they always seem to rotate or lean over while being driven-in. A concrete spur is easy and permanent.

Reply to
NoSpam

On their own, or did the panels sway with the panels?

And require only just less work than is needed to fit a concrete post.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, your original plan sounds like a good one. We have a 3-inch/75mm post that rots every 10-15 years. It's a simple enough job to pull out the rotted stump and slip a new post in. About 30 minutes work. I certainly wouldn't bother trying to do any more than's necessary - unless the post makes a habit of rotting/breaking.

Reply to
root

It seems to make a habit of rotting every 10-15 years:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Stick to your trolling in u.r.c.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Is that more or less time than you spend trolling other groups?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The OP could fill the hole with wood.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

.. snipped

A fair cop - 'twas the fence that was swaying because some of the posts had gone

Reply to
NoSpam

A good blast of hot air from dennis and the whole lot might have been on the floor:-)

I lost a fence panel last year. ie the wind blew it away and left the posts intact. I was not too bothered as they were shit panels that were there when I moved in.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Metpost spikes do that, but we are talking about a repair spur

The Medway Handyman

What the f*ck has that got to do with you?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Doh!

He could buy a slightly longer post & use an off cut, or put the spur in & fill with concrete.

Or fill the gap with the remains of a dead cyclist.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They jailed someone for trolling today.

Reply to
dennis

They jailed someone for writing abuse about someone who had committed suicide.

Now if you want me to go to jail I'll do a deal with you........

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just a passing interest.

MBQ