New euro cylinder alignment problem

Hi all,

I have just purchased a new keyed alike set of euro cylinders (anti-pick, anti-bump, anti-snap) to replace the existing ones of unknown level of security.

I replaced 2 of them OK but the third (patio door) is causing problems.

If I put the new lock in place without the retaining screw, I can line things up OK and lock the door without a problem. When I put the retaining screw in, the lock is very difficult to turn and wont actualy lock.

Looking at the retaining screw when it has just started to be screwed in, it looks like its off centre to its hole. I think that tightening it up pulls the lock to the left slightly which puts the cam in the wrong position.

Also, comparing the width of the cam on the old lock to the new one, the new one looks slightly (maybe 1mm) wider than the old one.

Do cams come in different sizes?

Is it feasible to file the cam down to make it fit?

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Can you perhaps slightly enlarge the screw hole so that it aligns better with the lock body? Can't see why it might not be OK to reduce cam width slightly. Dremel?

Reply to
newshound

Initially I would swap the locks and see if the problem occurs in the other doors, this would ascertain if it is the door or the lock that is the issue.

Reply to
ss

Yes, definitely the way to go.

Reply to
harry

Agreed, I though of that just after I had posted!

Reply to
newshound

Just tried the lock in another door (front door takes the same size) and it worked perfectly.

So, looks like it is down to the slight misalignment when the securing screw is tightened in the patio door.

I'll try trimming down the cam with my Dremel tomorrow.

Thanks

Reply to
AlanC

I would look at the door rather than the lock.

Reply to
harry

I agree but I cant see any kind of adjustment on it, short of replacing the whole locking mechanism (which I would rather not do).

It appears that the cam is just too snug of a fit in this particular locking mechanism. The cam on the old lock looks like its about 1mm narrower which would explain why it works OK.

Reply to
AlanC

Just to let you all know, I trimmed about 1mm off the external side of the cam and filed a little off the top and it now works perfectly.

After closer inspection of the old lock, it also appears to have been filed.

Thanks all

Alan

Reply to
AlanC