New Electrical Regulations 2005 (UK)

Source of information, just OOI?

Reply to
Andy Wade

In principle you can be fined and made to correct any faulty work.

Part P was introduced by the Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations

2004, which can be found here:
subsequently amended by section 20 of the Building and Approved Inspectors (Amendment) Regulations 2006, here:
regulations are Building Regulations made under the Building Act 1984 - see the explanatory booklet available from here
document P (Electrical Safety - Dwellings), which sets out in plain language what you can and can't do can be downloaded from here
Andy Wade

Building regulations are not "advisory" - they carry the full weight of law. Breaking them (can in theory at least) result in a fine and a requirement to correct substandard work.

It is not "illegal" to carry out DIY electrical work if you either: are a memeber of a self certification scheme that allows you to sign off said works, or, you submit a building notice prior to carrying out the works and have a BCO provide a completion certificate for them once done.

As others have said, there is a stong chance that you would be able to get away with doing neither, but then that would be illegal. How much you care about that will I suppose depend on just how much you think the "law is and ass" in this case.

People talking out the back of their heads seems to be a greater problem though.

Or perhaps he is concerned that the property will be sold in the near future, and the absense of the correct completion certificates would hinder the sale.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

Ah yes... I look forward to what Peter's Parents do with Part P.

Probably push it proportionally posteriorly past Peter's pater's proboscis.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You've had lots of replies on the whys and wherefores of the infamous Part P.

The simplest answer to your problem might be not to touch the fixed wiring. I assume the cooker hood has an appliance flex and 13A plug - could you simply not run this to a nearby socket, or even fit a longer flex if the supplied one doesn't fit ? You could even just plug a cheapo extension lead into a socket and sit that on top of a unit and plug the hood into that. (I'm guessing a bit at what your kitchen might look like.)

--=20 "If you have nothing to do, don't do it here."

Reply to
John Laird

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying something like:

That's a big 'ding!' there, good buddy.

PMcM has a long and proud posting histroy (good typo, I'll leave that in) relating to his Fiat Pinkicento, which continued to pink, ponk and punk long after any sensible person without super-hearing would have left the bloody thing alone or set fire to it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King