New Electrical Regs - Again

Self-regulation
During the summer I fitted a ceiling fan in the bedroom, but because of the ceiling height it is installed below the recommended minimum level, I'm six foot tall and it whirls away about eight inches above my head!.
Looking at the instruction/installation booklet it states.. "Do not use ceiling fans and open gas heating appliances at the same time in the same room".. it doesn't say they shouldn't be fitted.

Surely if you use a powerful enough extractor fan with an open flue fire, it will draw the exhaust gasses into the room?
Exactly this happened to a pal who had a 'normal' open 'coal' fire and a kitchen with breakfast bar through to the living area after he fitted a powerful fan in the kitchen. The idea was to stop kitchen smells reaching the living area, when what happened was smoke in the kitchen.
--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Yep, and so a big enough hole in the wall to outside will be needed.

Well the idea is the same, the best practice is the same, but it does not come under the gas regs until a gas fire is fitted.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
London SW 12

In uk.politics.misc on Sat, 4 Oct 2003 at 12:49:44, derek wrote :

I guess you need to find a 'cowboy' who'll ignore such bureaucratic rules, or DIY again. :)
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham, England