New Electrical Regs - Again

Page 9 of 10
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:25:13 +0200, "tim"

See above re: yellow spotted ties and fairness tests.

I work from home.

Accepted. If you do lots of private miles, and minimum company miles, get the car solely as a perk and chose a car with a low CO2 figure, (you can still get a quite fruity sports type car within these parameters) it's a cheap car for you. Change it three times a year, let the huge depreciation reduce the Corporation tax burden, OTOH if you run a sensible car and actually use the car as an essential part of your work you get clobbered. Is that how you believe the tax system should treat a prudent enterprising business? Do you really want to return to the days when the boss's wife got a BMW sports car on the firm just as a perk

Don't think so. I'll be away in London and Aberdeen this week, and I'll be driving between the two, the car is full of tools, drawings, spare parts, and test equipment. It's a people mover with 3 of the seats removed. I'm not going to empty the bloody thing and put the seats back in when I get home at 10pm Friday night and then reverse the proceadure at 7-00 am Monday morning when there are 3 other cars on the drive.
Oh, BTW don't lose too much sleep about my car benefit predicament. I've sorted it, at the cost of a little re-arrangement the IR now get nothing!
DG
"derek" wrote

When I had my "cheap mortgage" from employer during the 1990's, it was taxed (via P11D) - "Beneficial Loan". This was as early as 1991.

Glad to hear it, that wasn't so when I took out my mortgage 1972. Or when I first started paying company car tax 1975 ?
DG

-- Peter Saxton from London snipped-for-privacy@petersaxton.co.uk
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:57:55 +0100, Peter Saxton

As I understand it you need to be careful with respect to offering discounts where VAT is part of the deal. Customs and Excise can (AFAIK) require you to pay them the original amount of VAT, regardless of the price you sold services for, if they suspect that they are being diddled.
Example: You normally sell a service at 100. VAT man gets the extra 17.50 for each sale. You do a job for a mate at half price. VAT man might decide that you still owe him 17.50 - an effective rate of 35%!
I think it would be rare to have this forced upon you, but I'm sure I read somewhere that if the VAT man thinks you are diddling him out of money he would otherwise have expected to earn ('earn' being an emotive word in this context!) then you might be required to hand over the dosh anyway.
I suppose one situation where this might be applied is if you did a cash-in-hand job and effectively got paid nothing as far as the authorities were concerned. If you were stupid enough to leave a paper trail behind (for example a certification for electrical work) then the authorities can - and most probably would - treat the affair as if you had received the money. Only thing is, if you got caught in one of those situations then you'd be taking on the might of the authorities who would - probably quite reasonably - assume that you are involved in large scale tax evasion.
Like so many tax laws it all depends on circumstances.
PoP
In uk.politics.misc on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 at 15:25:29, derek wrote :

So if I change a plug, or replace a fuse, I'll have to call someone in?
Yeah, right - like that's gonna happen!
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham, England

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:18:24 +0100, Vidcapper

No, but almost. Read the notes on the ODPM web site in the building regulations area. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:18:24 +0100, Vidcapper

Some minor works are exempt, but the rules are none too clear presently.
PoP
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 09:18:24 +0100, Vidcapper

That's not "domestic electrical work" IE work on a house.
But it's almost as bad as that, it's pretty bad now before they've even started. I bought an ordinary ceiling fan from B&Q, called a local electrician in to fit it and he refused "your ceiling's too low mate it's against the rules" but I have an ordinary modern house built in 1976 the ceiling is 7' 6" from the floor. "Somebody might pick up a little child from the floor and throw it up into the whirling blades of the fan"
So I fitted it myself.
1 year later got a Corgi man in, he came into the front room and said "You can't have an open gas fire in a room with a ceiling fan" I said we don't use them both at the same time the fan is to cool us down the fire is to make us warm" and even if we did the fan has no effect on the fire. Doesn't matter he said It's against the rules, I can't service the fire.
And they haven't started yet!
One of the things bothering me is that I'll have to have all these petty non- compliances resolved before I can sell the house.
DG
"derek" wrote

Similar-ish (true) story:
I need a new central heating controller/timer fitted.
Call in an electrician: Electrician: "Sorry gov, you'll need a heating engineer to fit that!"
Call in heating engineer: Heating engineer: "Sorry gov, you'll be needing an electrician to do that!"
Thinks - ... - ah, ok - fits it myself.

I've heard of that reason before.

I can see it from his angle. If he did fit a gas fire with one in place and some idiot managed to gas themselves to death through CO poisoning.
When he'd finished doing a stretch for involuntary manslaughter, the idiots next of kin would bankrupt him using some no win no fee ambulance chaser.
greg
--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....

Anyone care to speculate as to the reason? An *extractor* fan I can understand.
--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

It reduces the strength of the draw on the chimney allegedly.
greg
--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....

Uh? I can see why you can't have an extractor fan and gas fire but a ceiling fan only stirs up the air in the room, without changing anything. Any gas experts care to comment?
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Tony Bryer wrote:

This is a new one on me. It is certinaly not in GSIUR 1998 or AFAIK any BS normative document.
In fact you could have an extractor in the room (implausible) or in an adjoining open plan kitchen (plausible) with the open flue fire. However the likelihood is that aditional permanent ventilation would have to be provided.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

thought he heard someone once say down the depot, turning "need to be watch the ventilation if there's a fan in the room", where "the fan" referred in its context (a polysyllabic word and abstract concept beyond the reach of our jobsworth) to an *extractor* fan. This mention of an [extractor] fan has been transmogrified in the simple neural circuitry of our man who can't wait for proper gold braid on his lapels into "fans bad". After all, if he overinterprets the reach of some sacred Regs he's never actually read, nor read a rational guide to, what's the effect? More work for him, and naff-all chance of being corrected. Whereas if he errs on the wrong side, and lets something go which is potentially unsafe (and in the context of ambulance-chasing, the standard for "potentially unsafe" need mean only "superficially similar to a situiation which might increase a marginal risk by another small margin"), his precious behind is in danger of a slap.
This kind of incentive to over-strict application of regulations, and folk extension of their scope and meaning, is a peril which seems very rarely addressed by "self-certifying" trade body regulation schemes. Self-regulation has a natural bound where the cost of over-compliance lies with those being regulated; where such costs fall on the *customers* of those responsible for interpreting the regs "on the ground", the dangers of creating inappropriate incentives are considerable. Any carry-over to the forthcoming role of the NICEIC for domestic electrical installation is left to the imagination (which rules out most of the junior ministers, then ;-)
Stefek

My neighbour, a widow, was told most emphatically by the chap that services her water heater - I assume CORGI registered - that her electric cooker could only be replaced by a registered tradesman. This *might* be the case with a gas one, so he simply transferred this rule to include all cookers. And she believes him rather than me. ;-)
--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman wrote:

Mr Chairman (Dave): Point of clarification please. Meaning?
"Snip ...... the chap that services her (GAS?) water heater ...... snip ..... that her electric cooker could only be replaced (BY A GAS COOKER?) by a registered tradesperson".
Or am I missing the point? Slightly!
Sounds like the usual business of a) Don't believe everything (much) of what you are told and b) Any buyer or potential buyers responsibility to find out to a sufficient degree what they are agreeing to/contracting for; caveat emptor.
Regards. Terry.
PS. Love those bottom 'one liners' on your posts.

Electric for electric. The story would have no meaning if she wanted to replace it with a gas one, as he would have been correct.

But who should she have asked to be certain of:- a) getting accurate advice b) not being ripped off
Organisations like CORGI love to give ambiguous advice in their favour...

At least they ensure there's something worth reading in them...
--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

ceiling height it is installed below the recommended minimum level, I'm six foot tall and it whirls away about eight inches above my head!.
Looking at the instruction/installation booklet it states.. "Do not use ceiling fans and open gas heating appliances at the same time in the same room".. it doesn't say they shouldn't be fitted.