New drivers

In message , Gib Bogle writes

:-)

Everyone has some sort of wheels and is clearly the quickest, safest, most fuel efficient, considerate, able to brake/corner fastest and also know the best route to get anywhere!

Not everyone has an angle grinder:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oi!

They didn't tell me, I went by the handbook servicing quide. And 6 years,

40k Miles is a reasonable point to do a brake fluid change.
Reply to
Tim Watts

:-) Someone here has this sig: "Anyone who drivers faster than I do is a maniac. Anyone who drivers slower than I do is an idiot."

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Citroen XM. Lost top (!?) gear when I went down from 4th into 3rd around a roundabout. Seemed to work afterwards though and I drove it for a final thousand miles around Ireland just as a four speed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Probably more of them left on the UK roads than LHM Citroens.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No Dennis, that was _Transformers_

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Friend of mine had a V8 Lightweight. It got to the point of being just a bit _too_ hazardous, and I owed him a favour, so we stripped the lot out and rebuilt the suspension and brakes quite massively - new drums, new steering relay box and ball joints, new tyres, a really thorough job.

Afterwards it was unrecognisable as a Landie. It went where you asked it. It stopped. It stopped (and accelerated) in a straight line. We realised that neither of us had ever driven a Landie before that wasn't a clapped-out shed. They aren't like that when they're brand new!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Maybe a discussion of how to solve that problem would be more constructive :-)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

He's in league with the Medway handyTwat

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Still a fair few Xantias about.

Reply to
Clive George

So now you are saying getting the disks too hot doesn't warp them!

I think you should stick to a leisure scooter.

Reply to
dennis

What's that got to do with engine braking? You do know what engine braking is?

Again what's that got to do with engine braking?

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

You might be thinking of the 343 with DAF type transmission. Volvo put a neutral in and some people claimed their car had suddenly and inexplicably driven into the back wall of the garage when they came home from the pub. I had a V8 auto Land Rover Defender with tick over set slightly high as I ran it on gas. It did creep like all autos but I never had it change up.

Reply to
hugh

Bloody hell - ha ha! Are you sure it wasn't Herbie?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Not normally it doesn't no.

Most 'faded' brakes will recover once cool with no adverse effects.

This is well know to everyone who has faded brakes, or does so regularly (racing drivers)

Of course I am sure you will weasel that one by saying 'too hot' means 'hot enough to warp them' but in practice you have crashed the car long before you have got top that stage.

The weaker spot is the linings and the hyrdraulic fluid: Not the disks.

I think you should shut up, since you know as little about materials, automotive engineering and reality as you know about anything else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its using the engine to slow the car down dennis.

the engine is used as part of the braking dennis.

That's what 'engine braking;' means as opposed to having the clutch depressed or the gearbox in neutral, where there is no engine braking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Typical of the lazy bastard approach to everything being taught.

Ditto. Be in the right gear at the right time; up or down, was what I was taught and it's been good for me for years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hardly. I had a 1954 Ford Anglia, with rod-operated brakes; that was... interesting.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Christ, it's Den the driving expert again. Btw, cobblers to your statement.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

errr....yeah. As pointed out by several well informed people I was in fact talking bollocks. Tried it today and it nips up to 10mph then stays there. Must have been thinking of the motor home (manual) which can do scary speeds at tickover in high gears.

Blush

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts