New drivers

Lights go red and amber. Move hand four inches from where it rests on the handbrake, and put car into 1st. Move hand 4 inches back, press handbrake button. Wait for green.

Yes, my gear lever and handbrake are that close. I can have one finger on each.

Mostly though I find one of the other lights, or a green man, to give me some more warning.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Huh!

I had 3 separate phone calls from Ford service making sure I was aware of the risk I was taking by refusing a brake fluid change at 2 years.

There are men going round the planet at 17000mph and yet, after 60 years, no-one has managed to come up with a brake fluid that does not collect water or a system that is not exposed to atmospheric moisture. Grrr...

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

superbright

dazzling

I suspect it's the regulations not keeping up with technology. Old incandescant brake lights used reflectors and lenses to direct the light and the source area was quite large. The modern LED things may produce the same measured light level at x m on y axis but it comes from a, or series of, *very* bright pin points. It's this change in source size that produces the dazzle.

I'm not a great fan of some LED car lights, the flicker annoys me, then they tend to be bright point sources that dazzle (I wear glasses, which possibly doesn't help but then *lots* of drivers wear glasses).

LED traffic lights at night are also too damn bright. You can barely see where to drive against the green glare from the set at Langwathby bridge when heading into the village from Penrith. It's not really dazzle just the sheer amount of light causing your iris to stop down so dark things, like the entrance to the bridge, "disappear". Once past the lights your iris opens back up and you can see again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That article is riddled with mistakes, and is probably one of the least accurate articles on wikipedia.

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , robgraham writes

Must be a Series Land Rover owner on the group.

Reply to
hugh

When I read a thread like this I think the group should be called "DIY-arguments". It reminds me of the Cleese skit.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In message , charles writes

Saw this on the back of a driving school Fiat "Beware Sudden Breaking" Well it was a Fiat.

Reply to
hugh

When I go to Piha (near Auckland) I've learned to always engage a low gear as I start the long steep descent to the coast. Getting three quarters of the way down and having the brakes start to give out is an interesting experience.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

And the inspection "technician" happily picked up his bonus. Next time they'll tell you your discs need changing.

Reply to
hugh

It's easy - you feel a bit of a bump.

Reply to
hugh

Been there, in winter. Bloody cold it was. I hit my deer outside Fort Wayne, Indiana. So how's Lake Wobegon these days?

Reply to
Davey

So how many people in this thread have broken a drive train changing down (in normal driving)?

Reply to
hugh

I find it difficult to pick up LED indicators inside the rear light circle.

Reply to
hugh

Mine doesn't :-)

The modern versions have changed to conventional brakes and fluid :-(

(the same is true for bikes. Some use DOT fluid (eg Hope), some use mineral (Magura, Shimano))

Reply to
Clive George

It's a tiny hole.

Which is why you change it regularly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, -30 not uncommon at all, and colder still isn't unheard of. Heating bills get a bit interesting. It's unusually warm at the moment though -

80 degrees the last few days. I think we had snow on the ground by this time last year.

So far I've escaped clouting one, although my wife got a fawn last year with the car and it's still showing some of the scars...

Our van's got some deer battle damage too, but that was at the hands of the previous owners. Several of the car repair places around here give out prizes for worst damage caused by deer impact :-)

I'll let you know if I ever find it ;-)

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

From the experiences of my youngsters, I would say they are taught engine braking, but often can't do it, so end up clutch-in and braking hard. But all my women friends do it also, so maybe it's the fact that many more driving instructors are female these days...

Reply to
Maria

No wrong is that it warps the disks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wrong No performance driver EVER doesn't have the engine NOT connected to the driving wheels except for the briefest time when changing gear and no performance driver EVER has the engine anywhere near idle at any time..the RPM is ALWAYS 'on the cam' and ready for maximum power.

In 30 years off watching motorsport the sole exception I can recall is qualifying 1000 bhp+ turbo cars where blipping the throttle with the clutch depressed mid corner helped the turbos keep spinning.

Engine braking is part of the mix always.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

only drive train I ever fixed was a ripped off half shaft in ex GF's midget. Admitted to revving the guts out of it and dropping the clutch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher