New drivers

He didn't say it stayed in 1st gear, it might change up!

Reply to
Davey

It would help if you elaborated on that comment.

Reply to
Davey

Where is 'here', in your case? - Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Defensive driving requires that you take precautions to allow for the driver who does not do what they should.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Slowing through the gears dates back to the days of rod operated drum brakes. If you managed to get those to slow you in a straight line, you were either quite lucky or a very good and extremely patient mechanic.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

ISTR comments about one F1 driver nursing it home recently doing such things, but that was very much an exception.

Reply to
Clive George

all modern EFI cars will cut fuel completely on throttle OFF except when the engine is idling..like er..coasting.

correct.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

suggest you watch an F1 race.

how DO you think they charge the KERS?

How DO you think they are already on the throttle mid corner as well.

Engine marking is part of the package. You always change down to keep revs in the max power band whilst braking as well.

Same goes for anyone really trying in a road car.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is the full story - fuel is cut off except when revs fall to idle speed.

under engine braking that doesn't normally happen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

main cause of brake fade is overheated pads glazing over. Then secondary effects are water in the brake fluid turning to steam or the brake fluid itself boiling. that leads to a 'long pedal'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be a very strange idle mechanism if it did. It would need to be capable of 'opening the throttle' well beyond anything needed. I can just imagine all the law suits in the US with this car...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do, frequently.

Charging the KERS involves using a generator as part of the braking system, but it does not use the engine.

Same as on a road car, I don't see the problem.

Agreed, as I stated earlier, but that doesn't mean that the engine is used as a brake.

Agreed.

Reply to
Davey

If it only came back on at idle speed, the engine would stall.

Depends on what speeds you're talking about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Brake fluid is changed as part of a routine service these days so shouldn't have any water in it. Nor will it boil ever on a road car - even with the discs red hot. If it does you've neglected the servicing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think even an XJS would change up at idle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well, quite.

Reply to
Huge

I suggest you go and get some proper performance driving tuition before you pontificate about it in public.

Reply to
Huge

I am aghast..

They *always* use the engine as part of the braking.

The aero does more, the brakes do still more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nursing is an exception, but not using the engine as part of braking.

if you watch ANY race with in car cameras you can hear the engine note..NEVER is it 'coasting in neutral'- in fact neutral is very hard to find on a paddle shift.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It doesn't mean it isn't part of it either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher