New drivers

I;ll go further, I had a van with a siezed clutch. I started it in first gear, It took me three applications of max revs, then stand on the brakes and clutch before the plate freed up with an almighty bang. The transmission took it

Max torques is on the half shafts. they can and do go. Nothing else is anything like so stressed..

The only exception to that is the main (lasyshaft?) nut on a maxi gearbox that can unwind and mill out the end of the gearbox under overrun,. If the bastards at BMC hadn't put the locking nut on, which they didnt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 And then they get aggressive with you and hit the car when you do the same in return - i.e. undertaking them.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Series II Landies (the one with the weak gearbox shaft, with the stress riser). Loads of the buggers

Reply to
Andy Dingley

...and another one. Mk 1 Transhit, with the original V4 engine. Changing down to climb the sliproad off the M62 and couldn't get it into 3rd. Couldn't get it back into 4th either. Or 2nd. Or (by this time I'm rolling down the hard shoulder) 1st. Dad is remonstrating with me for my crap learner driving, and breaking another of his vans.

Looking behind us showed a trail of assorted cogs lying down the carriageway, and a gearbox housing that had cracked in two and the two halves moved clean apart. At least the propshaft had stayed attached.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, that's called Denise.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

aka "mechanical poo" :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Apparently HC rule 211 [look out for cyclists at junctions] is not an order to run them over.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'd go with the crap castings. It's a couple of miles of fairly flat road at the end, the brakes should have been down to normal temperatures before I stopped.

Besides, I never hold the car on the footbrake, and I think it had separate little drums for the handbrake.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Fairy nuff.

It was a Vauxhall, after all... :o)

Reply to
Huge

I avoid her, I bet you wouldn't have.

Reply to
dennis

What cr@p! You shouldn't pull out into a road unless you know its safe. Other drivers and riders frequently pass a car turning left and there is nothing that says they shouldn't do so. You should not pull out just because a car indicates left, you the responsibility to be sure that he does and that no other road users using that bit of road including drivers overtaking from both directions.

You! he can see the road he needs to be in to pass is clear, you shouldn't pull out as you can't see that its safe to do so.

Reply to
dennis

I like the way you think i am perfect even though I have only ever stated that nobody is perfect and that all drivers are bad. I guess that shows you can't understand plain English.

Reply to
dennis

But YOU cannot ever admit that you are wrong.

Remind me, what is the minimum speed on a motorway?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But it was clear for me. The highway code says you dont overtake on a junction.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had an Austin 1300 mk3 in the 70s. forever changing warped disks, 3 within

12,000 mile warranty. One stop from above 60 ould warp them. Main dealer suggested I went to scrapyard and got brakes from an earlier model that was ok.

Got pair of old disks surface ground (and a spare). Never needed the spare. Good till I sold the car at over 80,000.

Later discovered from BL (ex) employee that there had bbeen a problem with heat treatment of disks around then (confirmed from another source).

Pity they didn't admit it. I never bought another BL car (but that was because of a rust problem with that car which they wouldn't acknowledge!).

Reply to
<me9