New drill

Hi All, It's time to buy a new portable drill so any advice on the following makes would be very welcome. I will probably purchasenfrom Screwfix so I am considering Erbauer, Bosch, Hitachi or Ryobi. I would like to hear of any experiences with them.

Many thanks

Ferret

Reply to
dumbo

I just went to B&Q to get the =A3160 twin Makita pack 18 v impact and ordinary cordless. Sold out. But some more due in when I will be in Torquay. Buggerit.

This is what Makita have to say about their impact drill:

"The percussion mode delivers a constant level of impact to the drill bit, whereas in impact driver mode the hammer action is only applied when the torque resistance is achieved as the fixing gets tighter.

The percussion action is particularly useful when drilling into masonry and in this mode the 18V BTP140SFE will deliver up to 27,600 blows per minute. The latest 4-function combi drivers have two speed drilling mode, 0-700rpm and 0-2,300rpm. With 140Nm of torque available from the 14.4v model these tools will drill 10mm holes in steel and

8mm in masonry. In screwdriver mode the level of power to be used can be selected by the operator from the 16 torque settings adjustable by the finger-tip control ring at the front of the motor body.

In full impact mode the benefit of these machines is that the drive bit is forced into the screw head to avoid caming-out and damaging the fixing. This enables the impact driver to install extreme fixing bolts with ease. Up to 3,200 bpm is available for impact driving"

've been spending a few days screwing 2 and 3 inch screws into 1/4" MDF. I believe I will be getting either the very expensive Hitachi I first tried an year or so back or one of these babies, very very soon.

I wasn't taken with the Hitachi because we were putting hardwood door frames in and the combination of material and appliance was exploding my driver bits.

That and the noise they make.

Here is a test comparing the available impact drills 2 years ago

Weatherlawyer

What sort of drill? (I take it you mean cordless, but do you need hammer etc)?

With respect to the brands you have highlighted, the quality would usually run from Blue Bosch and Hitachi at the top, followed by Ryobi and Green Bosch, and Erbauer along with all the other Chinese badge engineered stuff.

Info on brands etc:

or cordless:
performance and battery voltage:
Drivers:
Drills:

John Rumm

"Is a impact driver a suitable replacement to a drill driver or combi drill? In the vast majority of cases, no."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Screwfix are currently doing an 18V Hitachi 13mm chuck combi for under £100 which is probably about the best deal you'll find atm.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I own both, and use both. The drill drills better than the impact driver, it mixes a bucket of plaster better, it drills masonry better, and in general is a far more versatile tool.

That is nonsense. How do you fit a mixing paddle or a hole saw into an impact driver (both of which typically require a 13mm chuck). How do you get an impact driver to set screws to a precise depth repeatable and easily without a clutch?

It may not indeed, but then again the rotation speed is higher and less controllable as well. So while it will do the job, the drill in low gear is usually preferable.

Sometimes it does. However there are screws that the ID will not touch that the ordinary drill will move with ease, a good example is 4" screw with the first inch tightly gripped in a plug into concrete etc, the ID can use its angular hammer all it likes, if the screw can absorb the angular movement in its torsional elasticity without the fixed end needing to turn, then it will stay put. In these cases you need the sustained torque from a drill. (I had exactly this happen a couple of weeks ago, attempting to remove a 4" screw that was fixing a timber gatepost to a concrete fence post).

They are OK on small drills, and also on the very heavy stuff (if you don't mind the noise), medium sized bits can just end up getting screwed into the wood.

Yup, but I would not buy one instead of a drill - very useful to have as well though.

I paid less than that for my 18V Makita.

Reply to
John Rumm

I bought one a few weeks ago and am *very* pleased with it.

Which is more than I can say about the DeWalt 'leccy screwdriver;

bought at the same time. It's crap. There's nowhere to put the "other" bit, the speed control gets knocked out of gear, so it doesn't go round at all and the trigger is so big and poorly positioned, it's forever going round by itself in the toolbox & so on.

Reply to
Huge

That's a shame. I'd send it back. I've had one of the DW920k models for a long time, and it's pretty good

Andy Hall

For driving and drilling wood the Impact Driver is all you need in 90% plus of cases. Mixing cement needs a dedicated drill, as drilling brick (SDS)

hex shank bits are now available and getting more common as sales pick up.

That is difficult with a clutch. With an Impact you look - amazing eh.

Less controllable? Get a better drill.

Off a lorry?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Even the best have no clutch, a single gear ratio, and a much higher minimum rotation speed, so less controllable. Not hard to understand is it.

The hex mount is not as effective as a chuck for precisely centring drill bits either. Still since you only use cheap tat tools I guess that would be "normal" in your experience.

Well I am sure that it probably was delivered by lorry at some point.

John Rumm

You pulse the trigger. I have never had any problems at all. Go out and buy and use it. Get to know how first though.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel